cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password not being recognised

rosneath
On our wavelength

I use an email client (Apple Mail) to send and receive emails.  For the last 2 days I’ve been getting an error message that my password is missing.  I checked the settings and it was there for sure.  I reviewed queries on here for similar issues and tried the suggested solutions including deleting account and setting up again. None worked.  Tried to get on to Virginmedia Mail to check my emails - it said it didn’t recognise my email address or password.  Now I’ve found that my passwords have been deleted from my Mail settings and when I input them, I get ‘server not responding’.

I can’t think what else to do!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rosneath It is worth checking that you can access the email address concerned via VM webmail using this address: https://mail.virginmedia.com/

Remember that you will need to use the username for the email address concerned and the VM account password, not the app password.

If you see a message saying that the email account is unavailable it may have been locked by VM security.  If so follow the process detailed in the on screen message to unlock the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

rosneath
On our wavelength

Update - passwords are back showing in Mail Settings but email still not connecting due to ‘no password provided’.

Is this an Apple Mail problem?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

First question would be, are you currently a VM broadband customer? VM has been deleting email accounts which are no longer linked to an active VM broadband service.

If you are a VM broadband customer, VM has been implmenting 'app passwords' for email clients. See if the link below helps

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

in the section How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device>>Setting your app password to use an Email app

rosneath
On our wavelength

I am a VirginMedia customer for broadband, phone, tv and email.  I set up the app version of my email etc about a year ago.  So I should be all set up correctly.  Nothing has changed - just Sunday afternoon (2 June) suddenly my email app said there was no password provided.  I’ve checked through the possibilities of something being wrong with the email app and nothing helps.  I deleted the virginmedia account on one device but can’t set it back up as VirignMedia says the email and password can’t be verified.  I am stumped.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rosneath It is worth checking that you can access the email address concerned via VM webmail using this address: https://mail.virginmedia.com/

Remember that you will need to use the username for the email address concerned and the VM account password, not the app password.

If you see a message saying that the email account is unavailable it may have been locked by VM security.  If so follow the process detailed in the on screen message to unlock the account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

rosneath
On our wavelength

Hello Graham, thank you for your helpful reply.  I eventually got into My VirginMedia and discovered my email account was locked so changed passwords.  Changed the email app password too.  Then found it was my iPhone that was causing the problem!  But without your guidance I would never have got that far!  Thanks again,