cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of IMAP connection on PC with Outlook

waterfd
On our wavelength

Yesterday I had a connection failure to the IMAP server from my PC using Outlook. I have tried a few times since and still no joy.

Following info from previous posts I have removed my NTLWORLD account from Outlook and tried to re-establish the account. I get the message 'We couldn't find the incoming (IMAP)server. Please check the incoming (IMAP) server name in account settings and try again'.

I have used advanced settings to set up the IMAP server info using 'imap.virginmedia.com' and still it won't connect.

I can still get to my emails from the web and my phone. I have rebooted my router with no change. I can also get my gmail emails using outlook.

Any help would be good thanks. 

1 REPLY 1

waterfd
On our wavelength

Fixed it. A further search on here showed I needed a different password set in Outlook to get to my account. This is not the same as through your Virgin Media. It is specific to email clients like outlook. The format is word-word-word-word. luckily after the email debacle in June I had written this down and when entered everything worked again. Why it stopped who knows. It is easy to go down rabbit holes when maybe I should have patiently waited. Ho Hum.

Again trying to get to Virgin help is a nightmare.