cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation

RHH7288
Joining in

Please can a VM employee start a dialogue with me to discuss cancellation of my service. I am no longer in contract and I am ready to simply cancel the direct debit and call it a day but I'd rather go through the typical process.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

TableTop
Up to speed

Alas if only it were that simple!

The forum team here simply don’t have the ability to negotiate contract terms or arrange for cancellations, and certainly nobody from VM will call you up to do this, why would they, you are still paying them!

You are still ‘in-contract’, I’m afraid, the minimum term has now ended and hence you have been moved onto a monthly rolling contract (probably at a higher price). Simply cancelling the DD certainly won’t cancel the contract, what it will do, as witnessed by numerous other posters on here, is that VM will simply add late payment charges onto your bill, which will continue to rack up. Eventually, they mark you as a ‘defaulter’, wreck your credit rating and hand the whole lot over to a firm of debt collectors, who will start by threatening you with Court action, add additional fees etc.

And, I promise you that this is all perfectly legal! 

So if you simply want to be done with VM with the minimum hassle, look up the address on here of their Sunderland office, and write a good old fashioned letter. In this letter, include your name, address, account number and make it clear that you wish to cancel in 30 days time from receipt of the letter (you contractually have to give them 30 days notice). Keep a copy of the letter and send it by recorded delivery (signed for), that way there is no argument about whether they received it or not.

If after this, they fail to cancel the contract on time, then you have the option of eventually escalating to the Ombudsman for independent adjudication.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

As advised by TableTop, don't cancel your direct debit. The most likely outcome is it will backfire on you.

If you simply wish to cancel, with no further negotiation or discussion with VM …

You can cancel your services by post as per info below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

Use a first-class, signed-for delivery service. This will give you a date/time of delivery when you gave VM your 30 days’ notice to cancel. Also keep a record of the tracking number.

If you cancel during a minimum term period VM may charge you early disconnection fees.