cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving a contract early 2024

Mum1212
On our wavelength

I came across this old doc: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/CitizensAdvice/Consumer%20publications/Exit%20Fees%20-%20Fi...

(1) Consumers who experience persistent problems (eg My problem with terrible customer service and contract set up/money owed to me) can leave their contract early WITHOUT paying an exit fee. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, if a service is not provided with ‘reasonable care and skill’, consumers have a right to receive a REDUCTION in the cost of their services. 

(2) They cannot FORCE consumers to fulfill their obligations (including payments) when a trader has not fulfilled theirs.This should be a note you can add to TWITTER platform complaints. Or in a letter to the CEO.

Providers do not always recognise this and continue to charge exit fees even when they have not provided the service promised - so in this case - CHALLENGE them (use your MP). Use Citizens advice bureau and household insurance to help. Take them to the small claims court. This takes a LOT OF TIME. AND TIME IS MONEY - so charge them for wasting your time.

(3)All providers give exemptions for the following: a) cancellation within the statutory 14 day cooling off period for distance sales, and b) if the provider changes the terms and conditions in a way which causes ‘material detriment’ (e.g. RISES IN PRICES) to the consumer.

(4)VM can try and charge an exit fee when you move house - you do not have to pay it in every circumstance- because not all networks or specific services are available at every address in the country. There are circumstances when you may not be able to move the VM service Eg1 product is technically available at their new address. Eg2 moving in with a parent or partner who already has their own internet provider, or Eg3 moving to a property where internet is included in the rent or Eg4 you are homeless. OFCOM has said exit fees cannot be a method to extract extra profit, or to oblige consumers to pay for products which networks are unable to supply.

What does this mean to you? Well, you can 'move house' to an address of a relative that already has virgin media or another provider - and VM then have NO RIGHT TO CHARGE YOU A FEE FOR LEAVING EARLY. Do not be afraid of cancelling their DD and leaving. Log a complaint with OFCOM and certainly discuss with OFCOM. Don't pay up.

Unfortunately broadband contracts remain on your credit score

If you fail to repay your broadband contract, your provider can report these missed payments to the three credit referencing agencies. This will damage your credit score, and may affect your ability to take out a favourable interest rate in the future. THIS IS WHY YOU MUST FOLLOW THE PROCESS AND DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Your credit ref agency can be provided with your documented evidence - letter to VM to lay out reasons no exit fee is chargeable.

Conclusion -you might  get out of your contract by 'moving' to an address that can not be supplied with virgin broadband (Highlands). That includes a park bench. Leave the contract officially - follow the process -- so it is all in writing, documented , copies made, post to @virginmediahelp, send a recorded signed for letter to the head office - turn up at their head office with a letter and request a receipt. 

In my case - I have a valid upheld complaint from the 'indep adjudicator'; and complaint with OFCOM (that VM failed to respond to 3 times) and a complaint against libertyglobal - who don't bother doing anything at all. I will need to take VM to the small claims court to get the compensation for wasted time - thousands of pounds for hours and hours trying to resolve matters and hanging around repeating myself to people who do nothing. I have a DSAR (I requested all info held on my account)  - with content missing - so there is a further complaint to the Info Commissioner about inadequate DSAR and deliberate attempts by VM to delete records of complaints (Eg damage to my property by the preinstall team).

I am totally fed up with VM.

I have every right to leave. However I only paid £20pm. I am not leaving. I simply want them to compensate me for digging up my drive 'by mistake'. An apology is not enough. They have to pay to fix things and pay me for my time wasted. Oh, and it is all on CCTV with a police ref for criminal damage.

This is all looking like the Horizon post office scandal. Maybe we need a class action lawsuit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

removed

Why not post something positive?

OFCOM have an open investigation into VM complaints - please do log all problems with OFCOM. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/virgin-media-investigated-over-difficulties-cancelling-con...

Enforcement team (enforcement@ofcom.org.uk)

Case reference CW/01275/07/23

This investigation is still looking for more examples. I contacted them and said we need (1) a named accountable person and (2) email address for complaints and (3) complaints logged by email - not on their stupid platform where content disappears.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

If you  read the attachment and advice from citizens advice, you would recognise the advice I relay is entirely taken from there - shared for the benefit of others - and evidenced with a link. removed

Forgive me if it's in your post, I couldn't be bothered reading it but how was PlantPot17 supposed to know what sex you are? 

The username doesn't necessarily accurately describe the user 'PlantPot17'

alanwils
Tuning in

I think most of us can agree that Virgin Media is not what it once was, and it's become something of a 'dodgy outfit'. I recently agreed to a new contract only to be charged for being 'out of contract' as my new contract "didn't get accepted"! What's that about? What's the "didn't get accepted" got to do with me? Why didn't they return a call to tell me that it didn't get accepted...whatever that is?!!! They initially called me and offered and I accepted; I was on my way to leaving VM for good. They took an amount that was not authorised. 

Speaking with Citizen's Advice; they informed that they have had numerous VM customers complain, usually long standing customers who have been with them for many years. I really do feel something is very wrong here and there is truly a pattern; long term customers, maybe their elderly customers...playing on their loyalty/ vulnerability?

Perhaps the new 'Post Office scandal'? I advise people to let their local MP know. The more of us who do that, the better

removed

Why not post something positive?

OFCOM have an open investigation into VM complaints - please do log all problems with OFCOM. 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2023/virgin-media-investigated-over-difficulties-cancelling-con...

Enforcement team (enforcement@ofcom.org.uk)

Case reference CW/01275/07/23

This investigation is still looking for more examples. I contacted them and said we need (1) a named accountable person and (2) email address for complaints and (3) complaints logged by email - not on their stupid platform where content disappears.