cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 self install, using previous TiVo cabling? Do I still need attenuator?

benawhile
Dialled in

I intend installing a V6 which was posted to me about 2020. I think it was part of a package upgrade but was incompatible with my old TV.

The previous installation was the Samsung Tivo, installed 2018 by Virgin engineer.

This comprised:

About 1 m of cable from the wall inlet, to a forward path 3 dB attenuator and a splitter, the Tech net ix E S X 20.

From the splitter, a 1m cable goes to the router and a 15m cable was required to reach the TV location.

The wall to splitter and splitter to TV cable sections are marked “CATV-2017-17254-TFC-CCS/AL-SERIES 59-141615 M CPR -CE Euro classification E ca”

Splitter to router section marked C TFC T10 11262.

We now have a new Smart TV and are ready to install the V6 kit. I would prefer to install the Ethernet cable rather than wi-fi.

Due to the supplied V6 cable being too short, I would like to use the cable assembly from the original installation, connecting to the main wall entry. Is this feasible?

I have found 2 different sets of self install instructions,

1. the one that came with the V6, that tells me to connect the new cabling to my existing TV cable, which sounds odd, as there would then be 2 splitters in series,

2. and another on the web which ignores the new cabling I was supplied and simply says to use the existing installation plus the adapter into the new V6.

Should I retain the 3dB attenuator?

I will have to make up my own Ethernet cable due to the length required. What category should I use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You need a tech to sort this out. He'll need to get the V6 activated, he'll make up whatever length of coaxial cable you need and determine if the attenuator is still needed from signal level readings.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You need a tech to sort this out. He'll need to get the V6 activated, he'll make up whatever length of coaxial cable you need and determine if the attenuator is still needed from signal level readings.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware the V6 will likely have been deactivated in the intervening time and will need recommissioning. VM should be able to do this remotely if you can provide the box serial-number by phone.

You should be free to self-install the V6 using your existing cabling, but if there are any service issues that result - simply report these via the faults route and a service tech will amend your install as required.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, look forward to sorting this out properly at last as we didn't have time (or a telly) before now.What about the Ethernet cable, what cat do we need?

Will call the techies and see what we can arrange about getting the cable socket fixed too. If it comes to it I may position the old loom before they come as I want to run it through the ceiling void. But will call them first.

benawhile
Dialled in

Update

Everything connected, amber light, and remote was talking to the V6, setup downloaded software, but after that I got error code M58 "has not connected for more than 30 days" and could get no further.

Virgin support has only one page for this code , "check all wires/cables etc)" (page 2 is "oops could not find)

So I phoned Virgin tech support who said according to their records I only have the older Tivo box. They couldn't explain why I also have a V6 which isn't on their records but they did say that, assuming I was sent it as part of a "loss leader" upgrade package contract at the time, by not using it at the time I have "missed the boat" as I have since changed to a contract that doesn't have a V6. So they are saying they cannot recommission it.

Does this make sense? I have managed to fire up the old Tivo but I would rather use the V6 especially as it is smaller

Thanks for the reply @benawhile on the forums. 👋🏼

We are able to assist on this and we will.
I will send a private message.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @benawhile, thanks for speaking with us today. 👋🏼

I'm glad to hear you have managed to set up the V6 box.
Let us know if you need anything else and we'll always assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs