cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline issue

scottbo
Joining in

We have a second landline outlet and an engineer came last week to do the digital changeover. My wife works from home and connects her company phone into that second phone outlet and her laptop means that calls for work come through that phone. Since the changeover she has had issues with not being able to connect (the company phone) . Her employer has said nothing has changed their end. Not sure it’s linked but I also note that when trying to call virgin media, when I press the phone keys to go through the automated questions, it does not recognise them - I have tried with 3 different phones connected to our landline. Anyone got any suggestions. 

14 REPLIES 14

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @scottbo 👋.

Thanks for reaching out to us and welcome to the Community Forums. Apologies your wife is having issues in relation to the landline. Since the switchover the phone line is now set up for VOIP rather than standard copper line, with the phone not recognising dialled optional menu numbers. We can certainly assist you, we would need to bring you in for a private message to discuss this and resolve. 

Please look out for the envelope on the top right of your web browser or if you are using a mobile device, it will be located under your profile icon.

Thanks

Sabrina

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @scottbo 

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your landline issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:

•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 

•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment

•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Please keep us updated on how your appointment goes and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Sabrina

Hi again - the technician came. He didn’t really understand the problem and had never come across it before . He replaced the hub. We then went on holiday.  It has fixed the issue with getting a tone to do online banking etc however, my wife is still losing her connection frequently (5 or 6 times a day) and it now means she cannot work from home which is a massive inconvenience.

The engineers from her work have stated it is an issue with our broadband provider - it is stated that to start with, you “need to review why a cancel message is coming from the PBX maintainers and is there a way to expend the timer of the cancel” doesn’t mean a lot to me but they are saying the issue is definitely with you. Hope you can help. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @scottbo 

Thanks for the update. 

I have ran some tests on the line and at the time of writing, unable to find any issues with the broadband. 

Is your wife loosing connection on both wired and wireless connections? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

This i occurring since we moved to VOIP . I attach the latest email from the engineers 

IMG_6971.jpeg

Can you confirm if both wired and wireless connections are impacted?

I've ran all the tests on our system and have not been able to identify any issues. 

Is it possible you could run a BQM and leave this running for over 24-48 hours so we can monitor the drop outs? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello - this issue continues. The broadband connection is fine but calls keep dropping out. Lisa’s employers technicians have sent the attached and are certain it is an error our side as they have many people using this system who are also with virgin and have no problems. My wife will now have to work int he office until it is resolved. IMG_6971.jpeg

Hi @scottbo, thank you for the update.

We're sorry to hear you're continuing to experience this issue 😔

Are calls dropping out immediately or midway through conversations? Also, are calls dropping when making and receiving them?

Advice on how to fix common landline issues, including when connected into the Hub, can be found here

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience and we'll do our very best to help.

Regards,
Daniel

Mid way through. As a reminder, my wife connects her company phone through the line and I am not sure how but it connects to her company system. Prior to going to voip (for 4 years) there were no issues. Since the change you made call now drop out and she becomes disconnected to the system. She has to log in again and again and again.