cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting WiFi calling to work.

DophinBoy
Tuning in

Hi, I have a Samsung S7, and I have very poor mobile signal, so I want to get Wi-Fi calling working.

It appears that the S7 does support the function, but the option is missing from the menus. 

running Android 8

Any help greatly appreciated!

14 REPLIES 14

DophinBoy
Tuning in

well this looks like a right can-of-worms. according to this list

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-and-4g-calling?_gl=1*1gagir7*_ga*MTgyODM1MzkyLjE2ODE0MT....

My S7 is not supported after all. Looks like I'm porting away if I can find a provider that does!

Hi @DophinBoy 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your mobile signal. 

Do you have the signalling issues everywhere or is it just at one particular place, such as your home or work? 

Does the coverage checker here show any know issues in the area that you experience the weak signal? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

At Home. We're between two towns (the housing has basically joined the two together now) and in each town our reception is fine. Our house is "on the edge" of both towns, and therefore signal outside is -109dBm and -113dBm indoors.

"Cell phone signal strength is measured in decibels (dBm). Signal strengths can range from approximately -30 dBm to -110 dBm. The closer that number is to 0, the stronger the cell signal. In general, anything better than -85 decibels is considered a usable signal."

https://www.accu-tech.com/accu-insider/what-is-a-good-cell-phone-signal-strength#:~:text=Cell%20phon....

Nothing can be done, unless O2 are going to put up a new mast near me soon?

another source of info..

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Mobile_Signal_Strength_Recommendations

I can confirm that at my signal strength, disconnection does indeed occur!

Do you not see the option to enable WiFi calling on your S7?

Tap the phone icon > three dots at the top right > settings > WiFi calling. 

Then from here you can also select to WiFi preferred rather than mobile data if needed. 

Let me know if you find the WiFi calling settings in your phone this way. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Hi, thanks for replying.

Phone Icon (recents,contacts,places)--> 3 dots--> Calls to show; Delete; Show Messages; Total call time; Settings; Contact Us

Settings (from above menu)--> Lots of stuff, nothing regarding Wi-Fi, VoWiFi or anything similar

When the phone is displaying the Keypad, the menu is different, but does not show wifi

Oh? 

Just to confirm, is your phone a Samsung Galaxy S7? If not, can you confirm the model of the handset please and I'll double check at our side for the WiFi calling set up. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

AH! just re-read that list, that's for "4G" calling, not Wifi. Back to the drawing board!

If you let me know your handset model, I can support further on the WiFi calling support if needed 🙂

Here to help 🙂
Carley