cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g Replacement sim for old 4g sim

sounds
Dialled in

Good evening,

I had a freestyle contract with a 4g sim with a very generous data bundle however have paid off the phone part of it and would like to buy a new 5g phone (not off Virgin)

Two questions

1. Will I get a new 5g if I ask for one off Virgin?

2. Would it work off the Vodafone network?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to buy a phone from elsewhere if you want to keep your present deal.

Virgin now use O2

You may not need  new SIM for 5G. Try your present one first before requesting a replacement 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey sounds, thanks for your post on our help forum today.

We'd love to give our advice on this, as you've mentioned you've paid off your previous handset from us the best way to go is to call our Care Team at 789 from your VM mobile number and ask for a new handset to be ordered, our agents can look into the account and see which devices are available for purchase and of course we do have 5G ready phones for you to select from too 🙂

Please, visit this link to view all handsets we can offer here, you may also use the live chat option on this page to discuss ordering a new device with our staff.

For the network and coverage, this would depend on the location amongst others. 
To view coverage in your area you can go here, type your post code in and it will show you the quality of signal indoors and outdoors. 
Please make sure you check the 5G coverage too in this case.

We hope this info helps, let us know if you got more questions or concerns regarding the above, happy to best assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,
Thanks for your reply
So I can buy a phone without a new SIM contract?
I already have an extremely generous 4g SIM contract (100g for £10) that current deals don't even get halfway to matching, last time I called they weren't interested unless bought both a phone and a SIM.

I was actually looking to buy a phone from elsewhere but still use my contracted SIM.

Look forward to your reply

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will need to buy a phone from elsewhere if you want to keep your present deal.

Virgin now use O2

You may not need  new SIM for 5G. Try your present one first before requesting a replacement 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks