Buffer6
Legend

A new feature update for Windows 10 this morning

update2022-10-19 095248.jpg

winver 2022-10-19 100038.jpg

After running scandisk as Administrator

scandisk 2022-10-19 102055.jpg

75 REPLIES 75

Got these earlier... doesn't seem to crash as much now.  Took about 1½ hours. 

Windows 10 11 Patch Tuesday fixes two critical zero days and many important security flaws

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Updates tonight

win update 2024-03-26 211209.png

Now up to build 19045.4239

winver  2024-03-26 214447.png

MrHalfAsleep
Community elder

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/march-26-2024-kb5035941-os-build-19045-4239-preview-a17079... 

March 26, 2024—KB5035941 (OS Build 19045.4239) Preview

The above (linked page) update makes no mention of the Co-pilot app that will appear in the system tray.  Fortunately if you don't want it (I don't) it can be uninstalled. I wish they'd knock it off with irrelevant faddy rubbish, but that's probably too much to expect.

netio.sys seems to have stopped giving me a BSOD at least. IRQ not equal and various others for no apparent reason. 

No system is 100% secure

π

Updates today

Cumulat Update 2024-04-10 142824.png

Now up to build 19045.4291

winver 2024-04-10 143309.png

Got this one the other day:

April 9, 2024-KB5037036 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/april-9-2024-kb5037036-cumulative-update-for-net-framework... 

After trawling through Event Viewer and finding nothing wrong with the netio.sys crashes, I found a lot of "information" that winlogon.exe was taking 156 seconds to start; which is one example of a systemwide slowdown.  Various services were also taking several seconds to start; slowing things down even more.  Having 3 (Chromium based) browsers doesn't help either as Chrome (11), Edge (12) and Avast (10) fire up several instances of themselves chonking into memory as they go.   

There were also some interesting things in the Security section* (nothing to with the CVE**) that could fixed (hopefully) by this update, but I'm not holding my breath.  I won't go into detail as I could be (unwittingly) causing more problems.

Relying on a competitors browser/open source code isn't a good idea as they slow Microsoft's Windows (95/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP etc) down to a crawl, advertising their own products (e.g Chrome OS/Android) as a speedier alternative.

*if you have VSC (Visual Studio Code) installed.

**See the above link for more details.  Bordering on Computer Science.

No system is 100% secure

π

@MrHalfAsleep That's taking far too long

I bought a laptop recently from Curry's to have as backup My new laptop 

It boots to log in screen in 12 seconds and when you put the pin in, it's instantaneous logged in

@MrHalfAsleep  'that winlogon.exe was taking 156 seconds to start; '

It should be a lot quicker than that. I bought a laptop Oct last year to have as backup.

@MrHalfAsleep: That's taking far too long

I bought a laptop recently to have as a backup PC My New Laptop 

It takes 12 seconds to boot to the log in screen and when i put in the pin I'm instantaneously logged in

It's not the speediest of machines, and the technology is a bit on the old side (mechanical HDD, DDR3 RAM etc) and the word "Welcome" is on the screen for a while.  Some apps simply do not work any more.  I've always had problems with Windows 10 since I bought the machine, such as Power-Kernel and other stuff which I posted on here a few years back.  It seems Microsoft isn't bothered about Windows as a product any more, making it more and more bureaucratic as the version numbers increase; if that's the case then should go more the business services side and fire Windows off completely.

I no longer recommend to friends that they buy a computer; as it's easier and more stress free to stay offline.  This is something I've been giving serious I've been giving serious consideration over the last couple of years.

No system is 100% secure

π

I'm also not interested in AI or NPU's and don't really care about/want/need quantum computing, SAAS, food/drink/toilet paper*/whatever subscriptions, online banking (look how well that turned out), CDBC nor cloud storage etc etc.

It's now 4-44AM and way past my bed time.  There are 111,303 events in Event Viewer.  I've also spent 83% of life so far faffing about with computers.  There were 4 earthquakes in 6 minutes in Greece.  Useless, but true.  Too much data destroys your brain.

*this is a thing

No system is 100% secure

π