cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Support

Wooster2023
Tuning in

I'm being forced to go 'full fibre' when all the copper wire is removed. (Currently with Plusnet.) So I'm considering a move to Virgin. Can you guys give me some insight into the support Virgin provides? There's lots of negative views on here, but perhaps those with a good experience don't bother to comment...  Please tell me!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you say the 'copper wire is removed', what do you mean specifically?

Traditional telephone services, via a wall socket, are being converted to phone connections via the router and this is for all providers. VM provides its landlines via the VM hub for new customers.

In answer to your query, my experience of VM (no longer a customer but 20 years before last year) is that when it is working the service generally works well. If you have to communicate with the company though it is often an unhappy experience.

This is because VM has outsourced so many of its routine day to day tasks that it often fails to function with even simple tasks.

The quality of your (possibly future) VM connection may depend a lot on where you live and what sort of infrastructure exists in your area. Some of VM's infrastructure dates back to the days of the cable TV companies 20+ years ago.

If you are considering becoming a customer, a routine piece of advice on here is not to cancel your existing broadband until you have VM fully installed in your home and working 100% to your satisfaction. This is because a regular topic of complaint on the forums is delayed installations for new customers (another outsourced function of VM).

Many people complaining on here get caught out by a VM installation delay and find they have no services when their previous provider is cut off. Better to overlap two providers for a short time to make sure you remain connected and online.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you say the 'copper wire is removed', what do you mean specifically?

Traditional telephone services, via a wall socket, are being converted to phone connections via the router and this is for all providers. VM provides its landlines via the VM hub for new customers.

In answer to your query, my experience of VM (no longer a customer but 20 years before last year) is that when it is working the service generally works well. If you have to communicate with the company though it is often an unhappy experience.

This is because VM has outsourced so many of its routine day to day tasks that it often fails to function with even simple tasks.

The quality of your (possibly future) VM connection may depend a lot on where you live and what sort of infrastructure exists in your area. Some of VM's infrastructure dates back to the days of the cable TV companies 20+ years ago.

If you are considering becoming a customer, a routine piece of advice on here is not to cancel your existing broadband until you have VM fully installed in your home and working 100% to your satisfaction. This is because a regular topic of complaint on the forums is delayed installations for new customers (another outsourced function of VM).

Many people complaining on here get caught out by a VM installation delay and find they have no services when their previous provider is cut off. Better to overlap two providers for a short time to make sure you remain connected and online.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've had VM for a long time, and as above, if the area is good and you have no issues, then it is good.  However, there is a lot of complains here, so it's very dependant on areas I think.  As for Customer Support, I can't comment as I can't remember the last time I had to speak them.  Great advice from @goslow  on maintaining your current ISP until VM is up and running.  You also have a 14 day cooling off period, and I suggest you make good use of this and test your VM connection thoroughly. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

If there was an Openreach FTTP here I'd revert from VM to Plusnet in a heartbeat !

The phones (3 numbers) we have already ported to Sipgate a proper VOIP provider to ensure we have control over the numbers and they can not be lost by ISP failing to port in a timely manner.

We are very lucky that we have VM internet via RFoG, it has been very reliable and no fuss since installation in the Winter of 2017.  The VM Customer Service is the real concern.  If you can get connected, the offshore call centre is not a support team it is a revenue driven sales team that will always prefer offer to sell upgrades  when they need to replace a faulty Hubs or send an engineer to fix a connection fault.

QoS is why I'd prefer to use a different ISP !

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are right, people do not post about good experiences only bad ones. If you look at the number of VM customers against the number of ‘complaints’/‘errors’ posted on the board the figures are low. From my point of view, I have always run in modem mode and have very very few problems in many years of being a customer. Modem mode does seem to bypass a large number of ‘errors’ with VM equipment.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

When the copper wire is removed is a clumsy way of me saying I'm being forced to take FTTP when my Plusnet contract end in 6 weeks time. Great idea about ordering VM before the Plusnet contact finishes. I'm in a suburban area and it was cabled up back in the 1990s but it was recently updated with additional (small) green cabinets next to the old ones.

Why are you "no longer a (VM) customer but 20 years before last year..." What made you cease to be a VM customer?

Your words "offshore call centre" made me shudder. Pervious experience with Talktalk's offshore call centre was dreadful beyond belief.

Why would you "revert from VM to Plusnet in a heartbeat" ?

Wooster2023
Tuning in

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by "run in modem mode"?

Just FYI: I just need a decent (50Mbps) broadband connection. I don't want any of the 'media' services.

@Wooster2023 wrote:

When the copper wire is removed is a clumsy way of me saying I'm being forced to take FTTP when my Plusnet contract end in 6 weeks time. Great idea about ordering VM before the Plusnet contact finishes. I'm in a suburban area and it was cabled up back in the 1990s but it was recently updated with additional (small) green cabinets next to the old ones.

Why are you "no longer a (VM) customer but 20 years before last year..." What made you cease to be a VM customer?

If you only need a basic broadband speed of 50 Mbps then the FTTP capabilities may be overkill speed-wise (as the pricing for FTTP usually encourages the customer to go to the 'next speed up' rather than taking a slower speed connection).

Why are you being 'forced' to go to FTTP when you renew? I haven't looked at packages from the different providers in a while but, when I last did, many were offering 'free' transfers over to FTTP for existing customers (no price increase in minimum term) once FTTP became available.

Worth noting that the FTTP installation in your area will be 'brand new' and run on modern infrastructure. I am now running on a BT FTTP connection and the quality is far superior to anything I had with VM running on 20+ year old infrastructure from the days of cable TV.

If you are seeing VM renewing cabinets alongside the existing, this suggests they are renewing the network in your area with FTTP. They are doing this in my area.

I am located a few miles from the telephone exchange and, for many years, VM's speeds were way higher than anything via Openreach. I required the higher speeds for work purposes so stuck with VM. When FTTP from Openreach was installed I had another choice.

You will find that VM wants to sell you bundles of services (and discounts bundles over individual services in the minimum term contract period). I wanted to retain broadband only and ditch my landline but VM refused to make any acceptable offer on broadband only so I switched to BT FTTP. I wasn't that keen to switch at the time but it turned out to be a benefit.

'Modem mode' is when the customer sets the VM hub to act as a cable modem only (without providing any wi-fi or router functions). The customer can then connect their own superior router/wi-fi equipment to the VM hub to access the VM network.

VM hubs are generally quite basic and poor wi-fi is an oft-mentioned complaint from people posting on here.

VM relies heavily on offshore call centres. You may yet shudder once more when you try to make contact with one (if you can get through that is) and should the need arise.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you mean Plusnet are removing your POTS phone, then they should still be able to provide SOGEA, which is basically broadband over he copper phone line.  This service is not being withdrawn when the phones shut down. It's still good for "up to" 80Mb, distance to cabinet dependent.

There are other ISP's who are supplying SOGEA over copper, so check around.

EDIT - A quick Google hit Superfast Fibre to the Cabinet (SoGEA / FTTC / VDSL) Broadband Packages | Aquiss

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks