cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coaxial cable lifespan

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Does anyone know what the anticipated lifespan is of VM's buried coaxial cabling?

I am aware that a long term project has begun to upgrade the cabling by 2028 but some of the legacy cabling will already be decades old. For example the relevant manholes in my street still say Cabletel (and the BT ones Post Office - but that's another issue).

Basic online searches suggest anything between 20-30 years... which is very much coming up where I am.

Will 2028 be fast enough? 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).
20 REPLIES 20

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Well my street has just been done. The new cabinets at the start of the street are in the attached picture and are to the left of an old BT (?) one. The bigger one in the middle looks different to the designs already shared in the thread. The contractors (O'Connor's) seem very professional. They are clearly very grateful to get the contract to do the surrounding Cardiff neighbourhoods in the next fortnight or so. They said Swansea will follow soon. As to Go Live they didn't know (the foreman (?) said not too far off and definitely by the end of the year). I assume VM will be in touch when it is live but I remain really unclear how/when existing coax customers in an upgraded area like me get switched over to Xgs-pon (and whether OR FTTP might still pip them to the post). 

IMG_20240105_125406578_HDR.jpg

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Some coaxial cables are over 30 years old and still working well, and as the migration to XGS-PON will not be completed until about 2040, then there will be some coax around until then.

VM's a bit hamstrung in that only broadband customers can use XGS-PON now as there is no recordable IP box available yet for TV subscribers.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Following the installation of new XGS-PON cabinets in my street my (hybrid coax) downstream power levels have doubled to 11-12. Luckily I had an attenuator kicking about which fixed it but interesting to see. Might be completely unrelated of course. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

XGS-PON is separate to the existing two networks.

--

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Well it seems some sort of (presumably pretty expensive) mistake was made. The mysterious middle cabinet has now gone awol and a big hole has been dug again. 

IMG_20240118_164630630.jpg

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

How odd, it would be good if you could post more photos of what's happening.

--

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Some serious civils and cable pulling going on around me. Two "yellow coffin" chambers (previously mentioned elsewhere on these forums somewhere) have been installed across the road with a new grey cabinet.

The middle cabinet on my side is back in place. It seems that a new posh brick-lined chamber has now been installed which presumably will soon have its own yellow coffin cover (but not before the incoming storm sadly). Why yellow though and not a nice unobtrusive olive green? 

IMG_20240120_163752954.jpg

IMG_20240120_162306579.jpg

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I think the colour is deliberately yellow to warn people of the presence of the coffins.

--

Reddit reckons (amongst many similarly colourful suggestions - the URL is a beauty btw):

"It's a cabinet plinth with a temporary bright yellow cover on it to make it more visible so pedestrians don't trip over it... the civils work often gets completed prior to the cabinet actually being landed and fixed to the plinth." https://www.reddit.com/r/CasualUK/comments/wcmoxt/what_the_bloody_hell_is_this/

Well one of the two "yellow coffins" has since been replaced by a 5-6 foot tall ugly gravestone slab of a cabinet which I think is the "mother unit" for the estate. The guy from Sims Networks who was twiddling with the wires inside said that Go Live is months away as the head end (?) has yet to be done (I am aware of the backend billing issues with this stuff too). 

IMG_20240401_161333491_HDR.jpg