cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible intermittent fault ?

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Download speeds have seemed slow for several weeks. I tested today between 13:00 and 15:00 and got results varying between 67 and 160 Mbps.

M200:  Windows 7 Ultimate: Super Hub 3

Software Version "V1.01.35"
Hardware Version 3.11

Lots of errors - Error Number Error Description
                        84020200       Lost MDD Timeout

traceroute to bbc.co.uk (151.101.0.81), 30 hops max, 64 byte packets
01 10.53.37.117 <10.000ms <0.000ms <10.000ms
02 86.28.83.57 <10.000ms <10.000ms <10.000ms
03 * * *
04 * * *
05 62.254.84.66 <10.000ms <20.001ms <10.000ms
06 157.52.127.10 <20.000ms <20.001ms <20.000ms
07 151.101.0.81 <10.000ms * <10.000ms
Traceroute complete.

What does this mean?

26 REPLIES 26

I have now.

D/l speeds 45.4 and 45.2 one minute apart.

43.5 and 45.3 with original cable.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If that is with the Hub in modem mode and a computer in safe+networking mode and on a new ethernet cable using different browsers... then it beats me 🙂

Hopefully someone will have other ideas or VM can investigate - as you are not reaching the minimum guaranteed and if it continues you will be free to exit your contract with no £ penalty.

See what they have to say one here

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Well, thanks for trying.

I've just d/loaded the current version of MS Edge and that gives slightly lower results but with a massive latency of around 35ms.

I've also ruled out anti-virus and VPN as sources of problems and all three computers, connected via ethernet, are painfully slow. I don't see how it can be anything but the hub.

All VM b/band users I know have hubs at least two generations later than mine so I'm waiting (but not holding my breath) for the promised replacement hub.

Ciao.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I just noticed that you said earlier that you had "no connectivity" when it was in modem mode - I just remembered that on the SH2 when you go to modem mode - only 1 port on the SH2 remains active (the bottom one I think). Worth trying again in case you plugged your device into the wrong port and didnt try them all.

Would also be interesting if you can "borrow" a wifi router - one with GB ethernet ports and try that and see if it helps. Or a £40-50 punt for the TP-Link Archer C6. One thing is for sure.... it will be a quantum leap better for routing and wifi than the SH2 - and also the same over Hub3 or Hub4. And from Amazon you can always return it F.O.C. if it doesnt help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yeah, bottom port only - that's the one I used.

I just used Samknows again and got 45.2 Mbps download speed ; I then tried one of the other pcs and got an identical result.

The first point at which the two have a common connection is in the hub.

I see it as VM's responsibility and I don't see why I should buy other equipment. Bear in mind that this setup has been working well for several years - ever since the SH2 was current, in fact. 🙂

Thank you for trying.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jaberwok, 

Thanks for your post.

I am sorry you are having intermittent issues, I can see you have been in touch for a hub replacement but nothing has been put through. Would you want a hub to upgrade to the hub 3 ?

Zoie

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Hi Zoie.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been assured that the replacement hub (SH3) has now been ordered and should be delivered on Tuesday next.

Hi jaberwok

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see this scheduled delivery. This can be tracked here 

Let us know how the visit goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jaberwok
On our wavelength

Well, it arrived on Wednesday afternoon. Someone needs reminding that dispatch is not the same thing as delivery.

On Wednesday morning I briefly got d/l speeds of 114 and 104 Mbps but then it went back to 45.2 and 45.0.

After installing the replacement hub, I got speeds of 41.0 and 39.0. Testing on another pc gave 36.8.

Now, a few hours after the re-installation and rebooting, the speed is 45.3. Apparently I have downstream connectivity only.

The Virgin Media web-page test, unusually, actually says that there is a problem. It says "This issue is caused by interference on the cabling coming into your home" so, now what? Any advice would be welcome. 

jaberwok
On our wavelength

BTW, ironically, Wi-Fi is fine.

Did you know - the beautiful, shiny installation guide for the SH3 mentions ethernet just once - effectively saying "when all else fails, connect via ethernet to go online to look for help in getting Wi-Fi working".