cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downloads on ethernet

urbun_uk
Joining in

Having speed issues on ethernet connections to Windows 10 laptop.

I have Hub 4 and subscribe to 600MB speed package.

I can currently only get 250MB download speed. (Have seen speeds of 500MB briefly previously)

I have tried different laptops (both Win 10, new-ish high-end machines) , different cables, different ports on back of Hub but nothing seems to make a difference.

Tried booting into safe mode with networking and that made no difference either. I've looked at settings for network cards and both set as Gigabit cards.

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What laptops are they ? Dell's perhaps?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the response. One is Dell XPS and the other is a new Lenovo machine.

Both are powered via correct charging lead

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Dell's often run QoS software called SmartByte (I think!) disable that and see if that one improves.

Also see this thread about Dell's"killer wifi"

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-0-and-Killer-WiFi-issues/m-p/4736955#...

And, did you upgrade from a lower speed service by any chance when the issues were first noticed?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

It sounds like you're using a USB ethernet adapter - what is the brand? There's a lot of gigabit USB 2.0 network cards out there.

Ohhh, first time i hear about it o.o Thx for sharing with information !

I tried a USB 3 Gigabit adapter with Dell but the Lenovo has an Ethernet port built in. Both give identical results using different cables.

I believe this rules out the cable, the adapter, the laptop and have tried different ports on the Hub too - and always seem to get 220MBs when I am supposed to get 600MBs. I have also tried different hubs but that didn't help either! Totally stumped.

I was on 500MBs contract and used to get 220MBs then too ( VM upgraded the account to 600MBs but it actually made no difference.)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just to double check what you are actually on, can you log into the "router status" (not the hub settings) and navigate to the configuration page and look at what values are in the downstream and upstream boxes titled "Maximum Data Transfer Rate" and post them up here - they are in bps - not mbps.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Here's what I'm seeing there

Router Status.png

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, that's configured for 600mb.

EDIT: Removed comment re upgrade.  Just re-read and it was VM who upgraded the circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks