cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband Speed

telbea
Tuning in

I received the Volt upgrade on my broadband, 100 to 200, speed have been great up until abput 2 weeks a go when I noticed dropping out and slow when on my laptop, wifi. I have been doing random speed tests over several days, been getting download speeds of 63, 64, today 84 and upload of 18 & 18.1.  Used VM speed test, Ookla speed test and others and all are about the same.

I've done Ookla speed test on my mobile (iPhone 7) and it comes out as D/Load 220 U/L 20.9 both on wifi, sat next to eachother.

Anyone have any ideas. Ive rebooted hub (Hub 3), checked cables, the usual.

Would VM have reduced my speed hoping I wouldn't notice?  

I reported to VM who tested & found nothing, I said maybe faulty hub because I have had it since its first release but they wouldn't send me a new one to try to solve the problem, they did ask if I wanted to upgrade to the next speed, I said yes if its free, which of course it wasn't - why would I pay more for something that doesn't work?? I am now stuck with very slow speeds, intermittent dropping out, even wired is naff.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Are the speed test I've used correct, I am on wifi with my laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So your laptop is slow and your iPhone is reporting the correct speed, yes ?

So with speeds you are quoting on the laptop, they look like you are only getting a 10/100 mb connection via your wifi.   You will need to check your NIC, ethernet and wifi are set to 10/100/1000 i.e. Gigabit speeds.

By the way, absolutely do not upgrade your speed as a fix.  This is too common a practice and never works!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You were quite right to refuse a broadband upgrade that would not improve your WiFi. 

What speeds do you get with an ethernet connection? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

So your laptop is slow and your iPhone is reporting the correct speed, yes ?

So with speeds you are quoting on the laptop, they look like you are only getting a 10/100 mb connection via your wifi.   You will need to check your NIC, ethernet and wifi are set to 10/100/1000 i.e. Gigabit speeds.

By the way, absolutely do not upgrade your speed as a fix.  This is too common a practice and never works!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks