cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues with online Jamming (solocontutti)

jonw3
Joining in

Can anyone advise me on what to do with high latency.  I am a keen musician and I have been trying to use Solocontutti for online jamming and I consistently get poor latency which results in poor sound quality and a delay.  Trying sonobus was no better.  I am currently on a M250 fibre package and get ping times of more than 20ms which is higher than recommended.  Any ideas on how I can improve the latency?  I have reset the Hub 3 router but that made no difference.

13 REPLIES 13

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Pretty standard VM service besides their insistence on testing it every hour without your permission or any care for what you may be doing with the connection at the time.

You're too far from London to have really good latency on VM's cable network: use another provider. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If they tested over 10. under their own rate limits and not for are WAN IP rate limits there be no problem....but noooo has to be router mode because its easy for them giving us ping spikes but they make a good point we should really use hub in modem mode like its intended.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

If they tested over 10. under their own rate limits and not for are WAN IP rate limits there be no problem....but noooo has to be router mode because its easy for them giving us ping spikes but they make a good point we should really use hub in modem mode like its intended.  

The hub is intended to be used in router mode. Modem mode is a software bridge to avoid the routing functionality. It's a router pretending to be a modem.

They can't test below the rate limits: the whole point of the tests is to ascertain the performance.

What they should probably do is either make the testing opt-in or not test if there're significant levels of traffic going across the hub.

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

Your physical location combined with VMs use of DOCSIS makes it very unlikely you'll get below a 20ms ping.