cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dire speeds

mcr007
On our wavelength

So In January Virgin offered me a deal to remain, after cancelling ... so I took it - and am now regretting it.

I am paying for the 1Gig service, yet I am getting about 150mbps. Virgin support were hopeless - they offered me a wifi pod to help my bad speed despite the fact I get the same slow speeds on hardwired.

They refused to book an engineer to come out unless I agreed to a "potential" £25 charge - which I refused in principle. They refused to adjust my bill to the price of the service I am received because they are not "authorised" to do this.

I am so fed up. Virgin seem to refuse to raise a complaint so I seem stuck to paying for 1Gig when I am receiving 15% of that speed.

This is not acceptable. All I want is either:

1) fix the service so I am getting the speeds I am paying for,

or

2) cancel if you are unable to provide them.

Is this too much to ask for?

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Legend

Using the link below it would help to evidence the service to the VM Hub
is way below the expected subscription level...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

Do post a screen shot of the results.

mcr007
On our wavelength

Not much point - the Hub4 is likely receiving 1gig to the router, but it is then only delivering about 150mb to computers. I get faster than that when I connect to 5G on EE via my iPhone.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

use a cable to the hub

---------------------------------------------------------------

mcr007
On our wavelength

I did. I get rubbish speeds still.

gcarter
Superfast

There are several factors to bear in mind when troubleshooting internet / network speeds.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

run Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test check download latency 

---------------------------------------------------------------

mcr007
On our wavelength

I have about 15 PC's (laptops, servers, tablets etc.) - Don't ask! I am a Software Developer.

For the testing I took one laptop - a recent i7 hard wired it. All other devices were disconnected. All cabling in my house is cat6 or 6a.

It seems I get the proper speeds at night time (well 700mbps) but during the day it's dire (100-350) so I now feel this is capacity on VM's oversubscribed oversold network.

I am also fed up of there false promises (when I renewed I was promised I could be upgraded to a hub5 series when they were available - but there were low stock at the time). Funny how they can find them for new customers. In terms of Wifi, I have weak signal from a PC in the same room as the router. Once they got my renewal, all requests for the hub5 upgraded were ignored.

I am just going to cancel and go elsewhere.

Client62
Legend

As an IT Programme Manager I am more than a tad curious as to why the Realspeed test is not used to evidence daytime downstream capacity problem. After all seeing poor speed to the Hub during the day would be a local Virgin Media service fault but would show a change of Hub would make not a jot of difference.

If this is just an attempt to get a Hub 5 do make absolutely sure you understand all about Hub 5 issues (with  2.5Gb/s port / DHCP / Wi-Fi / DNS / flaky firmware ) before getting into a situation that can not be rolled back.

mcr007
On our wavelength

For what it's worth; I wanted anyway Hub 5 because I wanted Wifi6 support, and my second rate Hub 4 can only do Wifi 5 and only a few meters from the hub. Not even any walls between ... other side of the room has weak signal.

Speeds even on wired are poor during the day. Anyway I decided to move away from Virgin - I got full fibre to the property and it's full speed up and down throughout the day and new Wifi6 router is much stronger all over the house.

Virgin service will be cancelled at end of the contract. They have lost a customer.