cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency Spikes

Rishi_Chopra
Tuning in

Hi all, had VM installed around 10 days ago now, I have the Hub 5x, whether it’s wireless, or with Ethernet hooked up to my Xbox (which is the main annoyance) I have high latency spikes that last around 10 seconds, I would say these occur around every 30 minutes, now that may not sound awful but for a competitive gamer it can get quite frustrating, is there any way to fix this, when I run the ping test on CMD the ping spikes to over 2000, and when I log in online to view my Hub 5x settings, when I run the network diagnostic tool, it says that my home network has a few problems, and it highlights the part saying “checking Ethernet connections” I’ve read quite a few of the posts involving latency spikes and the only one that seemed like a fix was to do with changing the settings, and unfortunately it was from 6 years ago so was quite outdated, I’ve also seen people requesting tests etc, now even though I’m a gamer I’m not quite the tech wizard, so if you request these things in the replies, could you explain it easily for me as I do have a hard time following instructions sometimes.

21 REPLIES 21

Client62
Legend

Apart from using a network cable from the Hub to the Game Consoles,
I doubt there are any VM Hub setting that can be made to affect / reduce latency.

VM do have this test with reports Latency to the Hub as well as to the end device :
https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/
Once the test begins click on: Run full test to display Latency / Jitter / Packet loss / Upstream rate

Cardiffman282
Super solver

Sounds like the automated remote speed tests VM is still doing with Xgs-pon connections.

Set up a BQM to further monitor your connection https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

You are now 10 days in so keep in mind your 14 day cooling off period. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Rishi_Chopra
Tuning in

should also note that with Ethernet connection I only get a download speed of around 90mbps and wireless is around 136mbps, (feels like it should be the other way around) but I’ve tried playing on the console with both types of connections and both result in the same amount of latency spikes 

I see, is there any way to stop these automated remote speed tests, I read one thread about someone complaining about latency spikes and mentioned these tests, he rang up customer support and after hours he asked if they could stop the automated remote speed tests for him specifically, and they said they’re not sure if they're able to do that but would check, and after the phone call by coincidence or them actually being able to stop the tests, his latency issues were gone

Client62
Legend

Reaching around 90Mb/s over a network cable usually means the connection de-rated to 100Mb/s,
if you can see this is the case in the Hub menus try a different network cable. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

If your testing by laptop on wire it might not have a 1Gb network card

get this

BENFEI 2in1 USB-C/USB 3.0 to Ethernet Adapter with 3*USB 3.0 Ports Compatible for iPhone 15 series, ...

better cable should you need it

3m Cat6 Ethernet Cable Lan Patch Cat 6 Cables Internet Rj45 Plug 1Gbit/s SFTP PIMF - white - 1 piece...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rishi_Chopra
Tuning in

my BQM results 

IMG_2582.jpeg

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yup looks like VM DoS your ping by their speed checks 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just to note that I can see no provision in the current Ts and Cs that enables VM to do this open ended and network wide remote speed testing. You could call customer services and ask for it to stop in your case and/or raise a formal complaint about it as being a unilateral breach of contract that is adversely affecting your connection. https://www.virginmedia.com/legal

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here