cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLOODY DISMAL !!!

Steve1701
Rising star

OK, I posted before Christmas about my dismal BB speeds.

I've been recovering from throat cancer so I haven't really been in any mood to keep checking, but over the last few weeks, I've been keeping a wary eye on what I'm getting.

I'm on what's laughingly called the 'Ultimate Oomph Bundle' so:

V6 + additional box (unused) / M600 fibre broadband / Talk anymore anytime / Oomph unlimited data sim (unused)

Alas, it's anything but ... I've done the usual: Switch off switch on, unplug plugin, yadda yadda, I use extremely expensive cables for everything audio/visual, yet same ole same ole.

Currently, I'm getting approx 280 on DL & 38 UL which re DL is HALF I am stupidly paying for! ...Last week I got the dreaded email (which IMO should come looking like ye old'e black envelope sent to inform someone of a death) saying I could upgrade my Hub3 - NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN - I'll cheerfully lop my hands off with a rabid-infested rusty blade before I'll have that piece of junk.

So ... I'd like something done about my speed in short order, or I might just go off into the sunset, along with any early dump fee they think they will be getting.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus
37 REPLIES 37

Hmmm 😠

THREE DAYS since I was asked to monitor for 24hr & post a BQM & here's the latest ...

Screenshot 2022-02-25 122517.png

Phoning is useless unless you are fluent in some obscure Indian dialect or other & the so-called 'Experts' can't even take time to help ... It just goes to show how much VM care !!!

DISGUSTING ... Well, VM has had all the time I'm willing to give. Sky-bound.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Hi @Steve1701, thanks for your reply along with your BQM.

The BQM levels do look perfectly fine, and all of the power levels to your Hub are also in spec meaning there are no issues to be seen at the moment.

What I'd recommend trying is a pinhole reset of your router to restore everything back to its factory settings as advised here. Please be preapred though, if you've re-named your SSID or wifi password, this will revert these back to the default names and password associated with your Hub.

Can you kindly also please provide a screenshot of a speed test end result (when connected via ethernet) once you've done this to see if things have improved?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom 

As per your request, I carried out a pinhole reset ...

Below is the Speedtest that I ran approximately 15 minutes after the reset  - 26/02/22 @ 16:04 ...

As you can see, the Download Mbps is FAR below what I'm paying for:

Screenshot 2022-02-26 160403.png

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

FYI All ... 😕 ...

I've just checked for any reply and realised that the screenshots I posted are missing (at least for me)

Just showing a red circle/diagonal strike ???

Hopefully, you can still see them, if not I'll repost.

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

@Steve1701 wrote:

FYI All ... 😕 ...

I've just checked for any reply and realised that the screenshots I posted are missing (at least for me)

Just showing a red circle/diagonal strike ???

Hopefully, you can still see them, if not I'll repost.

Images can be rejected for having personal information, like IP address.

I can confirm that they got pulled because they show the user's IP address.  To post a BQM you need to click on the Thinkbroadband links to share the relevant graph (this doesn't show the user's IP), and then post the link, or if you're familiar with the drill, you can insert as linked image. 

Hi Carl , Andrew ,

It never occurred to me to hide the IP, I've done so now, and I'll repost all three images below:

First BQM (Tues 22nd @ 19:24)

Screenshot 2022-02-22 192436.png

Second BQM (Fri 26th @ 12:25)

Screenshot 2022-02-25 122517.png

Speedtest data following requested pinhole reset (Sat 26th @ 16:04)

Screenshot 2022-02-26 160403.png

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Other than the 'Blip', which appears to have happened to a large percent of users on that specific day, the BQM I would consider normal.

Could you confirm if you are wired directly to the HUB, not passing through any powerline adapters or any other kit?

Hi Carl 

I'm wired directly to the HUB via a 1.5 meter CAT 7 cable.

No other kit involved ... I've swapped out my cable to check the reliability and there's no change.

Regards and thanks for the help, Sir. 

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Steve1701 

I hope you're now on the road to recovery with yor medical condition,

Are you using the Ookla speed test via a brower or the windows app?

If via  a browser try using different browsers.

Also make sure that you use the server with the location based nearest to yourself, and not the optimal server. 

I downloaded the windows ookla (speedtest) app which seems to provide truer results than via a browser (see screenshots below)

I did have a problem previously whereby my Avast Anti Virus was slowing the speeds down on my PC. I've now uninstaled that and just using the free windows AV.

Also when speedtesting you should ensure that it's via ethernet cable and that no other connections are in use. You should also perform the sppedtest in windows safe mode with networking enabled.

browser 19:22 on 26.02.22browser 19:22 on 26.02.22

ookla app 19:24 26.02.22ookla app 19:24 26.02.22

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali