cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Packet Loss NW3

damawa42
On our wavelength

Awful packet loss in NW3. What's being done about it, Virgin?

Frequent connection drop-outs

damawa42_0-1641457041999.png

Simple traceroute shows loss occurring all throughout the Virgin network (outside of my house)

damawa42_0-1641457125112.png

36 REPLIES 36

Hi damawa42,

Our apologies for any frustration with this. 

I have checked on our side and I am unable to see any outages reported now. 

Can you confirm if you're still having any issues with this?

^Martin

damawa42
On our wavelength

Hi

See my monitoring for the last few days. You can see that overnight a few days ago something changed on your end, and my latency has tripled.

This is after you fixed the packet loss and extreme latency spikes, so it is very very very disappointing to see that you have suddenly tripled+ my latency.

Why did this happen? Can you explain it?

Monday, decent:

damawa42_0-1644483249295.png

Tuesday something happened overnight

damawa42_1-1644483275147.png

Wednesday still bad

damawa42_2-1644483297663.png

Thursday (today) still bad

damawa42_3-1644483315125.png

Whilst this latency increase is not as extreme as before, it is perpetually this level, it is noticeable when remotely logged in to a virtual machine (work).

And it is very worrying that yet again you are unable to maintain a quality level of service for more than a week or two.

Please explain this threefold latency increase and fix it asap.

Hi @damawa42,

I am sorry to hear you're still having issues with your service.

I have taken a look at the systems and we have identified a short-term connectivity issue which may cause intermittent or performance related issues with your connection. We can't see any other issues that would impact the connection and we believe it will only be a short-term issue and your connection will return to normal after 24 hours.

In the meantime, please check that all cables are connected securely. The issue that has been identified may be the result of a loose connecting cable.

If you still experience problems after 24 hours, let us know and we can look to book a technician if required. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

damawa42
On our wavelength

I really cannot comprehend how you can say that issue should go away within 24 hours when the complaint you are replying to was written a week ago AND I HAVE LITERALLY SHOWN YOU A WEEK OF PERFORMANCE GRAPHS TO PROVE IT.

Please don't be so dishonest and disingenuous. 

Why has my latency let again fallen to unacceptable levels?

A minimum latency of over 20ms is absolutely shocking. Average latency of 40ms is wildly incompetent.

Please have a senior manager call me. I am at the end of my tether. 

@damawa42 wrote:

I really cannot comprehend how you can say that issue should go away within 24 hours when the complaint you are replying to was written a week ago AND I HAVE LITERALLY SHOWN YOU A WEEK OF PERFORMANCE GRAPHS TO PROVE IT.

A minimum latency of over 20ms is absolutely shocking. Average latency of 40ms is wildly incompetent.

Just so you know that virgins infrastructure doesn't have the best latency, in fact is the worst of the lot as far as I can see.

10ms to the think broadband server is about right for minimum latency (Green)

Your average DOES look very wrong though, something is not right.

However the underlying latency looks quite stable. By that I mean you are not seeing erratic max spikes (yellow ones).

My connection has latency problems from time to time due to the load on my area exceeding capacity in my area.

Example:

My connection today...

Untitled.png

See that wonderful bunch of spikes starting at 4:00pm? Thats over utilization caused by virgin being greedy and lazy.

Yours does not have that, so once they do pull their finger out and actually work out what's wrong you may be golden.

Patience and persistence is needed when dealing with virgin, both in ample amounts.

Keep at them.

@damawa42 wrote:

I can absolutely 100% guarantee you that nobody, not a senior manager or indeed an office cleaner, is going to call you - ever.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Odd I wonder if thats upstream or downstream?

put hub in modem mode with a PC with https://www.wireshark.org/

filter
host 80.249.99.164
then filter
ip.src== 80.249.99.164

in main bar > view > time display format set to
seconds since previous displayed packet

and in milliseconds

Under time you see 1.000 ~0.999 when this goes beyond that its downstream jitter but if its stable its upstream jitter.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I am sorry to jump onto your post, but this mention of using https://www.wireshark.org/ and all the techniical items mentioned,; is it now generally understood that we have to be IT experts to use VM service . In which case, thats me finished. I cannot even get a response, from VM., so your doing well. Good luck. I will soldier on, but refuse to sit on the phone for any more hours.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello @damawa42, thanks for your post although I'm sorry you're having connection issues.

The BQM levels you've provided do look problematic, so I want to book a technician in for you who can have a look at this to get it sorted.

Firstly though I'm going to pop you a PM to ask you to confirm some details so I can look into getting this sorted for you.

Please expect this PM to arrive shortly and respond when you can.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @damawa42, thanks a lot for your confirmation of details requested via PM.

Just to ease your concerns, we require this information to make sure we're arranging the technician to come to the right address.

I've booked in the technician for you for the nearest available time and date, and although I can't disclose this information publicly, you can view it (and reschedule if required) via your My Virgin Media app.

If the issue for the technicians apppointment is as a result of misuse, neglect, accidental or willful damage, or if the technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your personal equipment, you will be charged £25.
If the appointment is missed there is a £25 charge for a missed appointment.

Please let me know if you need any further help!

Many thanks

Tom_W