cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Gig -Upload speeds dropped from 52Mbps to 10Mbps

Phunk1
Tuning in

I'm currently on the 1gig package, download speeds are always around 900mbps, however my upload speeds have dropped from 52Mbps to frequently being below 10Mbps (never going above 10Mbps)

This is running speed tests on different devices, both wireless and wired. I've also tried resetting my Hub4 several times with no improvement.

28 REPLIES 28

carl_pearce
Community elder

Could you check/post the configuration tab?

Hi,

I am in Glasgow in Giffnock (G46) and experiencing  the very same thing with poor upload speeds on Ethernet and WiFi, my upload speed is lucky to get over 6-8mb and its killing my ability to use Teams and Zoom for work, never mind uploading video and audio. I have checked the Virgin faults status phone line and status page for faults and there are none reported.

I have reset my Hub 4 router many times using the button reset at the back of the router, with no effect. This issue only surfaced after the recent hub firmware upgrade to: AR01.04.055.06.07_040722_7245.PC20.10.LG.X1

I am counting the days until CityFibre is enabled locally and I am off to Vodafone...I have had enough of Virgin.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 16.32.25.png

Speed tests - both using Ethernet directly wired into the Hub 4

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 16.27.40.png

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 16.28.50.png

I'm about a mile and a half from apj_uk - I'm just inside the Glasgow city boundary - and since mid-morning, my connection speed has typically been down something like 75% from normal.  I've rebooted the router several times and I've powered down and rebooted my computer - no change.

I've been working from home for three years now, so I know exactly what to expect from the service - and it hasn't been working normally today.  In nearly two dozen speedtest.net tests, from mid-morning to late afternoon, the average download rate has been about 70Mbps.  My contract is for the M250 product: "Expected Speed Range: 265 - 273 Mbps; Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed: 132 Mbps"

Virgin's online status, of course, says nothing wrong.  Well, it did - multiple times - until it finally recognised an intermittent problem - but offered no way for me to escalate it.

Was chatting with apj_uk last week and he mentioned his planned defection to CityFibre/Vodaphone, I thought "nah, not for me - I've had good service all this time".  But if this doesn’t get fixed quickly, I may well also defect to one of the CityFibre partners once they finish their work in my area.

Same happening here since Saturday in Romford, Essex RM3 9NF

Just to add another thing that's not working to my previous post from earlier today: my two virgin Plume Wifi Pods are now not working after resetting the Hub 4 back to factory default settings nor can they be found using the Virgin Connect iOS app either.

One is showing a flashing blue light and the other one is showing a flashing white light. 

Still slow, upload speeds now down to 5meg upload

Rankrotten
On our wavelength

Jumped ship to CityFibre and not a moment too soon by the looks of things. Just gone live in Glasgow West End recently.

Virgin are coming to collect their kit tomorrow.

I won't be the only one.

JScreenshot 2023-02-27 at 23.37.45.png

When are Virgin media support going to respond or at least acknowledge there is an issue with upload speeds that are not the end users fault? I have spent two days checking on Twitter to find many similar users with this issue all stemming from the recent Hub 4 firmware upgrade.

I am trying to work at home and I literally have no upload bandwidth, I am lucky if it peaks at 2mb. I have reset my router to factory default 5 times now, unplugged it many, many times, checked the Virgin media status page and called the support line to find there is no reported issue, yet scanning these forums and Twitter there is clearly an issue which Virgin media support are clearly ignoring as they know they have messed up badly...we deserve better than this.

samknows-1.3.23.png

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Maybe VM have done ACK rate limiting on the download limiting upload?

For download you have

outgoing you send you receive you send ACK back to the remote 

or

incoming you receive you receive you send back ACK to the remote 

For upload you have

outgoing you send you send you receive ACK back from the remote

or

incoming you receive you send you receive ACK from the remote

So it be interesting if some one test upload speed by incoming you receive you send you receive ACK from the remote to see if thats slow.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update: just called the Virgin media broadband support line to be told there is no fault. They claimed to have run “tests” and sent “signals” to my hub … I asked what “signals” they are and how this would help especially as they just told me there was no issue visible at their end after “tests” and they couldn’t explain. 

I am honestly stumped and have nowhere to go now. I see support are responding to other forum posts but ignoring all those other pleas for help relating to slow upload speed issues. 

My Broadband Ping - Hub 4

samknows-1.3.23.png

stats.png