cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Hub 3 won't let me use printer

McGruff
On our wavelength

I have a new Super Hub 3 printer. It worked perfectly with my previous Super Hub 2, but the new one won't let it connect with my home network, so I can't print anything from my iPad or my PC (thought thecopy feature still works fine. The model is an HP LaserJet Pro M28w, which doesn't have a screen where I could enter the new hub's password, and when I try to use the hub's WPS to connect, it doesn't  do the job - the wireless indicator light on the printer just keeps blinking. And since the Super Hub 3 doesn't have a USB port I can't do it  that way either. And my iPad shows that there is no sign of the printer in the network.

Has anybody got any advice as to how could proceed? Preferably using my iPad as my means of  adjusting any settings in the Hub, if that's the way to do it.

59 REPLIES 59

McGruff
On our wavelength

I managed to get my printer to come up with a Wireless Network Test Report, and I've found that in its Configuration Summary it identifies the Network with the SSID it had with my old Superhub. So it looks like the problem I've had with getting it to link up may have been that it was energetically trying to connect to a Network that is no longer, while the hub was trying to get it tojoi tge new Network and being ignored.

Manual? Maybe I need to get hold of that. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the HP Help Manual - 

Connect with the full-feature driver using a temporary USB connection

Install the full-feature HP print driver, which includes HP Printer Assistant (Windows) and HP Utility (Mac) software, to connect the printer to your Wi-Fi network using a temporary USB connection.

NOTE: 

HP Tango printers do not support setting up a Wi-Fi connection with a USB cable.

Connect the printer with a temporary USB connection (Windows)

Use HP Printer Assistant software, which comes with the full feature HP drivers, to connect the printer to the network by temporarily using a USB cable connection to transfer Wi-Fi settings.

1. Search Windows for your printer model name and number, and then click your printer from the list of results to open HP Printer Assistant.

NOTE: 

If the printer does not display in the search results, go to HP Software and Driver Downloads to download and install the full feature software and drivers.

2. Click the Utilities tab.

3. Click Printer Setup & Software, and then click Reconfigure Wireless Settings.

4. Follow the instructions to change the wireless settings.

5. When prompted, connect the USB cable and type the WEP or WPA key (network password).

If you do not know your network password, go to Find the wireless network password or PIN to connect an HP printer.

When the printer connects to the network, the wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I did provide a link to the manual/reference guide a few posts ago.

You did Carl, and I tried the fix you indicated to sort out the printer's network setting, but it didn't seem to help.  I think I probably needed to read more of the manual to understand what I was trying to do - I think I may in fact have restored the original network setting which was the wrong one.

Anytime I get a new printer I'm going to try make sure it's got some kind of way of manually setting stuff rather than have to rely on some gimmick that's supposed to do everything off its own bat. 

Thanks to everyone who's suggesting ways forward. I'll get there in the end. And it'll turn out to be something pretty simple.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I know it's too late for you, but I would always advise people to give their SSIDs names link MyHome2 and MyHome5. Then when you change your hub/router/WAP you can just change the default SSID names to yours. Saves a lot of trouble in having to change every device.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

McGruff
On our wavelength

I've now been able to get the printer's Wireless Configuration right, after a few frustrating goes when The change wouldn't take, because I was reading the SSID as starting VMO, when it was actually VM0. Now the SSID shown is the correct one with the new superhub. I'd hoped this would mean that the WPS would do the job, but no such luck.

HP Smart now shows the printer as set up for the new network - but not activated, and at this point I've no idea how I set about activating it. Still I feel I'm a little further on.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Tudor wrote:

I know it's too late for you, but I would always advise people to give their SSIDs names link MyHome2 and MyHome5. Then when you change your hub/router/WAP you can just change the default SSID names to yours. Saves a lot of trouble in having to change every device.

Sage advice which I follow. Great until the Hub firmware decides to rename the SSID at random 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

McGruff
On our wavelength

That solution Adduxi gave looks like the way - but a problem has come up. All goes well till the page where I'm supposed to put in the password. "Select your wireless network from the list" it says. But the list. Is empty. My superhub is standing on the desk in front of me, about 3 feet from the printer, and it's giving out a perfect  signal, but no sign of the network SDDI or of any the neighbours networks I,d expect to see..

Clicking on "refresh network" doesn't do anything, it just greys out. Disabling the firewall temporarily doesn't help either.  And a message comes up saying the app isn't responding.  I tried closing things down and starting again, but it just happens again. I've left it on, hoping that it'll sort itself out, but that doesn't seem too likely. ny suggestIONNS for getting round this last minute barrier?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What device are you using with the USB to printer?  This device will need to have a wifi connection as well as the USB one.  For example. a laptop would suffice as they generally have wifi, ethernet and USB.  If the device connected via USB has no wifi, then the HP software will not be able to display any SSID's.

McGruff
On our wavelength

I've always connected the PC I've been using to the hub my ethernet, as being convenient and secure. Never occurred to me to consider whether it had a WiFi connection. Looking in my iPad I see a note shows up saying "this device cannot be used to receive Apple verification codes", which I'd taken as just because its not an Apple device.  But I rather suspect that it's not got a WiFi connection, which I hadn't appreciated would make any difference.

So it sounds as if I'm going to find some other way round the problem.  Which is infuriating, because with the older superhub there was no difficulty in connecting up with the network without any fuss.  I found a site (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-wi-fi-network-windows-10)  which offers relevant sounding advice. 
Next time I get a new superhub I'll shell out to get them to install it for me. And any printers I get will have a screen.

Thanks for sticking with me adduxi!