cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer question

TheNewts2021
Joining in

Hi there forum,

I will be joining Virgin on Bolt package on the 10th of Jan. 

Question I have is regarding what the installers will do for you. I will be wanting the router and box downstairs but the kids PS4's are upstairs and the issue I had with current provider is wireless is a no go.

Will the installer put in a hard wired cable to my pc upstairs which has a wireless access point set up they can connect too or do they just cable to the router and box and anything else is my problem?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The installer will route co-ax cable to where ever you need the Hub and TV Box.  However they do not do any Ethernet cables, you will have to run this upstairs yourself. Or get a WiFi mesh solution, or powerline adaptors. 
Personally I would use a cable as it’s guaranteed not to be affected by interference, unlike wifi. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Do the Hub and TV box have to be together? Ideally hub upstairs and TV box downstairs.

I suppose time will tell.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TheNewts2021 wrote:
Do the Hub and TV box have to be together? Ideally hub upstairs and TV box downstairs.

They can be wherever you want them to be. Just be aware of the connectivity requirements of the TV360 box.

It needs a co-ax connection which is what carries live broadcast TV channels

It needs an internet connection - for OnDemand, streaming & various updates. This is always best over Ethernet cable given the choice, but reliable WiFi should also be fine.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If you are changing from an existing broadband provider, it is a good plan to allow some overlap time before the old contract finishes.

The Virgin installation is sometimes delayed, particularly if a new cable has to be laid from the road, and some new customers have found they have been left without service for this reason. The two services can both run in parallel if needed. 

Also be aware that the landline phone will now be wired to the Virgin Hub instead of a separate connection on the wall.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.