cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Hub 4 and Mesh Wi-Fi Pods

RoyBurridge
On our wavelength

I am hoping someone here can help with a problem I have after Virgin Media (VM) sending me the Hub 4 (not my request).

Firstly, i have changed over (uninstalled Hub 3 and Installed Hub 4). Once installed I realised how much bigger the Hub 4 is, most things are being made smaller and more discreet, nope not the Hub 4, because of its size it wont fit in the existing location so i need to move it to a different location, trouble is the cable is not long enough, bugger!!

I have tried to install the Intelligent Wi-Fi mesh pods but they sit in the socket flashing and will not connect. I have followed the information booklet and all the FAQ's on the VM website but it seems from previous posts in this group it seems like they need resetting but VM do not tell you this, it is not in the leaflets or anywhere in the FAQ's, poor service. 

The so called faded light is still bright and goes right round the box rather than the hub 3 with its small light. This faded light lights up the lounge at night and is distracting when watching TV as we can see it in our vison.

I called VM support yesterday and the gentleman on the phone was about as useful as a 'chocolate teapot', no clue what i was talking about at all and obviously offered no solution.

I asked him about a new cable being sent out, he replied 'go and buy one' i said why should i when it was VM that sent me the box, not my request and it is VM that have designed a bigger box. I asked him about the Pods and he did not have a clue.

I tried to call VM on many occasions and was just told to call back another time as there were system issues.

The service I have had from VM on this issue is absolutely shocking.

I am tempted to just go back to my Hub 3 which i know works (and just as quick) and fits in the place it was installed without a problem.

Can anyone please give me some advice on connecting the pods?

I really appreciate any assistance from a member or VM support from this group

Thanks, Roy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the pods need assigning to the new hub - only VM can do that 

the cable advice is wrong - you cannot use your own cable - i guess it was offshore who seem clueless

why was you sent the 4 - you say you did not ask - the only technical reasons are if you have gone to 1gig or if your area is congested - the 4 can help i believe

no reason other than that you cannot go back to the 3 if you still have it

to address all the points above speak to retentions - if you decide to keep the 4 and need a longer cable then that needs a tech - they may class its as a non fault call out which is £25 - argue on that - you have a fault - the 4 will not fit where you want it hopefully they will see that and book an FOC tech visit

if you just want to go back to the 3 again retentions - they should switch you back

but only talk to a UK agent - far too complicated for offshore

they have had system problems so you may have to keep trying

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

theres a freephone number 0800 052 0422. You need option 4 to speak to retentions

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The pods are linked to the hub so you will have to get VM to reinitialise them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the pods need assigning to the new hub - only VM can do that 

the cable advice is wrong - you cannot use your own cable - i guess it was offshore who seem clueless

why was you sent the 4 - you say you did not ask - the only technical reasons are if you have gone to 1gig or if your area is congested - the 4 can help i believe

no reason other than that you cannot go back to the 3 if you still have it

to address all the points above speak to retentions - if you decide to keep the 4 and need a longer cable then that needs a tech - they may class its as a non fault call out which is £25 - argue on that - you have a fault - the 4 will not fit where you want it hopefully they will see that and book an FOC tech visit

if you just want to go back to the 3 again retentions - they should switch you back

but only talk to a UK agent - far too complicated for offshore

they have had system problems so you may have to keep trying

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

theres a freephone number 0800 052 0422. You need option 4 to speak to retentions

Tony.
Sacked VIP

RoyBurridge
On our wavelength

So, following my post and very helpful replies, although I do note that none of these were from VM staff or technical people, my pods were miraculously reset, I received a text saying that the issue had been resolved.

I still can't get through to get a 1.5m connecting cable though.

It was Virgkn Media that sent me s new hub, surely they should supply the cable to enable me to use it correctly.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RoyBurridge wrote:

<snip>  I still can't get through to get a 1.5m connecting cable though.   It was Virgkn Media that sent me s new hub, surely they should supply the cable to enable me to use it correctly.

VM do not supply custom lengths of cable.  The cables in the Quickstart kits are the only length they have pre-made.

If you want a longer cable, or your Hub relocated, it's a fixed price £25.  It may be worth considering?  When one of my family members had the engineer visit, he kindly left quite a long length of cable on the Hub so they could move it around if needed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply, it would be great if I got a cable in the quick start kit in the first place.

The engineer supplied this bit of cable when they installed it.

I have been told that I shouldn't use a different one other than one supplied by VM. 🙄 typical

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RoyBurridge wrote:

<snip>   I have been told that I shouldn't use a different one other than one supplied by VM. 🙄 typical

That is correct, as it's against the T's & C's of the contract.  The issue is if using a non VM cable and you introduce any noise on the line from an incorrectly shielded RF cable, this noise will propagate to every other cable Hub on your segment.  This can cause major headaches for any VM technician trying to find the source of noise ingress.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks