cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal installation

Sereika1984
On our wavelength

Good evening

virgin media have illegally installed a box to my property without permission for the neighbouring house

I have been complaining for weeks and I am getting no where I was told the box firstly would be removed within seven days and it hasn’t 

second complaint logged last week was told I would be contacted within 48 hours a week later and I still haven’t heard anything 

this I feel is criminal damage as I have not given permission for this to be attached to my property which I own and also the wire has been drilled into my pointing. 

Can anyone offer any advise please 

63 REPLIES 63

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I feel very sorry for @Sereika1984 who has had all this stress dumped on them through no fault of their own.  It would be tempting to just forget about it and let VM get away with what has been done. 

It could take forever for VM's internal processes to get though to this to help a non-customer, and I think the actual customer must be involved to get things moving.

Therefore I suggest that @Sereika1984 speaks to the neighbour and tells them that the box and cable needs to be moved and will be cut off it it isn't.  Also @Sereika1984  should give the neighbour a link to this forum so that they can read this thread for themselves and see what has been said. They can log here for themself and get advice here on how to get this sorted before they lose their connection.   .

Dows that sound reasonable?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Great in theory.

If the customer has a working connection, you go back to @jem101 point that VM are unlikely to extend time or effort for little/no perceived reward.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Then the OP cuts the cable, and VM will have to attend.  At least the other person will have had fair warning.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

spell
Knows their stuff

This is the key to the whole problem. VM must be aware the the totally justified disconnection WILL take place at a specified reasonable time and date and the ball is then in their court to prevent it happening.

I still think they will do nothing.

The neighbour may also wish to keep his/her landlord updated as to events - will have approved being connected and may not be impressed by this ridiculous performance

Sereika1984
On our wavelength

Thank you for all your messages I am still unclear as to what action I must take and think I will speak to CAB to see if they can assist.

It’s absolutely disgusting that they are not even acknowledging my concerns.  

My main concern is will I be liable if I damage VM property 

thanks in advance 

t

Hi Sereika1984,

I am sorry to hear of the experience you've had.

So I can get a few more details from you to help with this I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

@Sereika1984 for what it is worth, I promise you that you cannot be held liable for damage to equipment unlawfully installed on your property. But the law works on the basis of being ‘reasonable’, so as long as you give VM a ‘reasonable’ timescale to remove their gear form your property, you are perfectly safe, nothing will happen. Also consider this, worse case scenario, VM would need to ‘prove’ it was you that cut the cable and not some wondering band of yobbos who happened to be passing by and thought it would be fun to cut a load of cables!

I promise you that unless you are prepared to take matters into your own hands, then absolutely nothing will happen and you WILL be stuck with the current situation. 

So what I suggest you do is to go outside tonight and cut away a couple of metres of the cable and dump it, enough that it can’t simply be reconnected and it needs a full repull. When your neighbour asks about it, feign ignorance but ask them if they have contacted VM and have a date for the repull, make sure you are at home on the date and deny any workers access to your property.

Now although I do have a lot of sympathy for your neighbour as it isn’t their fault, but neither is it yours and you cannot allow this situation to stand, 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Sereika1984

It's good to see that an official representative of Virginmedia has picked this up. When you respond to their request for details you can now formally give them notice that the damaging installation must be removed or you will do so yourself. I'd personally suggest 7 days, but that's your choice.

If they fail to remove this nuisance, you will have a perfect right to cut it. Please come back and report progress, you have support here. 

- jpeg1

spell
Knows their stuff

@Alex_RM wrote:

Hi Sereika1984,

I am sorry to hear of the experience you've had.

So I can get a few more details from you to help with this I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Of course - into a private - the start of delaying tactics. In fact the OP stated they had been trying to get this matter rectified for weeks - what has changed in the meantime - perhaps the realisation that someone is sticking up for themselves.

To Sereika - you are in charge here and it is totally up to you but barring sensitive or personal information this matter is of interest to the forum and updates would be appreciated. Especially any suggestion by VM that cutting their cable would be illegal.

It is your property that has sustained the criminal damage.

Good luck

Hi spell,

I have asked for details over direct message, as this would be private information that would not be able to be shared over a public post, 

Thanks,

Alex_Rm