cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting connected to virgin Media

swork78
Tuning in

I had a quick question about connecting to the virgin media service. I live in a neighbourhood where I don't seem to have fibre running to my property. The maximum connection I can get to my property from any provider is around 67mb and connected via a phone line.

I live at 93 but the neighbours across the street at 32 which is directly opposite my house separated by a narrow road are able to get the virgin 1gb service. The boxes are approximately 4m apart (but separated by a road)

There is another property which is at number 89 on the same side of the road as my property which is 1 house away that can also get the virgin media full package.

I was just wondering is there is any technical solution that can be put in place that would allow me to connect to the virgin media service or who I would need to contact to help with this. I believe the box outside my house is maintained by openreach. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

And approximately 5.2m between the pit in front of my house and the pit in front of theirs. 

If the ground is tarmaced, then start from an assumption of £200 a metre to dig and reinstate the necessary trench and ducting.  If it's across a public road, needs to be deeper and better reinstated to support vehicle traffic (say £300/m), and possibly to be hand dug around gas, water electricity and Openreach services - most of those are much deeper than VM would dig, but the position of drains, access chambers and the like can complicate matters.  For any streetworks there's "mobilisation costs" associated with bringing workers, material sand tools to the site, and a partial road closure would need additional barriers, traffic signs, possibly a survey and maybe the expense of temporary traffic lights.   In practice this usually makes single "cross the street" connections unviable as there's a set budget for new connections, possibly around the £600 mark, and that's easily exceeded when digging across a road, although there's no harm in asking.  In some cases customer can make a contribution to make up the difference, but that is uncommon - if VM say no, how much would you contribute?  A more likely connection option is if sufficient people on your side of the road will express an interest, because VM may then recognise a business case for the costs of running cabling down the pavement on your side to serve multiple properties. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up and should be able to assist you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply...to add insult to injury my current router is picking up my neighbours virgin media network!! 

Ahhhh

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @swork78  I can certainly help you with this, There a few factors to consider when working out If it is possible or viable for us to get service to a new property. I will send you a private message (purple envelope top right corner) where I can discuss it further with you.

Regards Joe 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

I am just curious to find out if there are any solutions that can be put forward to help me access your network, since my house is so near to a property you currently service. 9.4m away approximately from the cable box to their virgin box stuck on the wall outside. And approximately 5.2m between the pit in front of my house and the pit in front of theirs. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

And approximately 5.2m between the pit in front of my house and the pit in front of theirs. 

If the ground is tarmaced, then start from an assumption of £200 a metre to dig and reinstate the necessary trench and ducting.  If it's across a public road, needs to be deeper and better reinstated to support vehicle traffic (say £300/m), and possibly to be hand dug around gas, water electricity and Openreach services - most of those are much deeper than VM would dig, but the position of drains, access chambers and the like can complicate matters.  For any streetworks there's "mobilisation costs" associated with bringing workers, material sand tools to the site, and a partial road closure would need additional barriers, traffic signs, possibly a survey and maybe the expense of temporary traffic lights.   In practice this usually makes single "cross the street" connections unviable as there's a set budget for new connections, possibly around the £600 mark, and that's easily exceeded when digging across a road, although there's no harm in asking.  In some cases customer can make a contribution to make up the difference, but that is uncommon - if VM say no, how much would you contribute?  A more likely connection option is if sufficient people on your side of the road will express an interest, because VM may then recognise a business case for the costs of running cabling down the pavement on your side to serve multiple properties. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply with the below. It is very helpful. 

I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount towards it if this was the only way to do it. 

I even thought of speaking with my new neighbours (when they move in)  to see if we could come to an arrangement of them housing a router off of their connection for me If I paid for their internet connection as well. I can actually pick up their VM signal on my router its that close 🙂 (This comes with its own issues of course)