cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Works before Installation Problem!!

TheScolly
Tuning in

Hi,

I’m due to have Virgin Media (Gig1 Volt package) installed on Friday 27th May 2022, however the external works still have not been completed nor have I heard anything since I stated it was ok to commence (about 3/4 weeks ago). I have rang the customer service to absolutely no result.

I’m now seriously considering cancelling my whole package and staying with Sky, I had my doubts when I took the plunge to join Virgin. I have given a lot of notice to get all this sorted but if it gets delayed past my installation date then I will cancel.

Can anyone moderators check this for me instead of giving me numbers (like I said, I’ve already rang).

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not uncommon i'm afraid... see this....

The current VM installation process is badly managed when things aren’t straightforward and cable re-pulls are needed. So dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

So in the meantime, do nothing with Sky and just wait until VM is installed , then if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service - if you dont like it just cancel within 14 days and stick to Sky.

FYI - Re. VM’s recent installation issues - see John’s excellent précis of the situation in message 18 here…

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Multiple-Failed-Installations-zero-commun...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is, is that my Sky package is due to end on the 29th May 2022, therefore unfortunately if I get delayed I’ll have nothing until installed, no internet or TV which simply is unacceptable especially giving loads of notice for the installation 😞

To be honest I’m not massively concerned because like I said I’ll just renew my Sky contract and cancel Virgin Media altogether. I have had a great service with Sky so I’m at the point where I don’t mind paying a little extra to keep it over Virgin, just thought I’d check Virgin out for 18 months (mostly for the internet)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can still do that if you ask to reinstate/continue the Sky contract - perhaps on a 30-day contract. Something you can do on May28th if VM isn't installed on the 27th :-).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Apologies for the issues faced TheScolly,

Welcome to the community.

Can I ask has an appointment for the external work ever been set?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi, thanks for the reply Kain.

Nope, not heard a thing since I text back saying it was ok to do external works (about 3/4 weeks ago).

I’ve discussed with my partner already, if Virgin Media is not installed on Friday (my actual installation date -not external) then I’ll be cancelling and renewing with Sky.

It seems I’ve had to chase everything up to try and get updates but to no avail, shouldn’t be like this as a new customer.

Had absolutely no problem with Sky at all, even when I cancelled it was smooth.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the problem is if you cancel then all work orders will be cancelled so if you decide in the future to give VM another go you are back to square one - best option is just let the order run - it will get installed but when is the obvious question - once its installed you have 14 days to cancel at no cost so nothing to lose and who knows once it goes past your original install date they may have to pay you a fiver a day for the delayed install - you might have to fight for that but the record to date is a year plus and counting and thats got compensation to come

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I know I sound like I’m cutting my nose and all that but I was very reserved in joining Virgin Media in the first place after reading reviews and such (which are seemingly true!) but a friend of a friend got me a “mates rate” which I’ll be honest is a great price.

However I’m more than happy staying with Sky for an extra £20.00 a month and no hassle like I’ve been having with Virgin…shame internet isn’t as good though! I go on holiday on the Saturday so want everything in place before we go.

Thanks!

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TheScolly

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

I would like to take a look at things from our side and provide you with what update we have available. In order to do this I will just need to pop you over a private message to confirm a few details. 

I will send this over now and you can access the message via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

sclarke16
Joining in

I have just signed up for Gig 1 fibre.  I received a text to say that external work was required and asked for me to confirm that it was ok.  It is being installed in a rental and the landlord is ok with it but only wants the cable buried around the edge of the lawn and ideally wants to avoid digging up and patching of the driveway.

Who do I need to speak to make sure the contractor understands our requirements/restrictions?  Will I get notice of when they will start the external work or will they arrive unannounced when I am not at the property?

Thanks