ok-plug and play it says

white light on pod just keeps flashing white

been plugged in for 30 mins

will not connect to hub

hub has latest firmware

any ideas??

48 REPLIES 48

I have just received a Pod.

Plugged in and pulsating light for about an hour.

My hub 4 is on firmware: 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20

I have disabled 2.4ghz

I have enabled 5Ghz, 20/40/80 Channel 100

I have disabled channel optimisation.

With the above settings I get way better speedtest results on wifi compared to having channel optimisation on (usually 500mpbs+ on fast.com)

With all of the above, can someone post what the exact requirements are for the pods to work?

Many thanks.

Hi There.

I received a Pod today.  It's been plugged in with the pulsating light for nearly 2 hours now.

Hub 4 on firmware 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20

2.4Ghz disabled

5Ghz on.  Channel width: 20/40/80.  Channel: 100 (Not using default password or SSID)

Channel optimisation: Disabled.

With the above settings I am getting on average 520Mbps down and 45Mbps up on wifi (fast.com & speedtest.net)

Which of the settings above do I need to change to get the Pod to 'discover' the hub?

Thanks!

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The WiFi Pods require the Hub4 to be in Router Mode with a single SSID covering both WiFi bands and Channel Optimisation enabled.

Also, you can only currently plug it in if it is the variety with only one Ethernet port.

@DinoParry 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Ernie_C.

I was able to get it working with your instructions so many thanks for that.

The only downside with the channel optimisation being switched on is that it moved the 5Ghz channel from 100 (the only network on this channel) back to 40 something which now overlaps perfectly with about 8 other networks in the area (using wifi analyser app on phone to see the before/after effects). 

The wifi speed has taken a nosedive down to about 100Mbps (even when standing about 6 feet from the hub 4!)

Interestingly, when I'm next to the hub 4 I get my phone tell me it's connected at 866Mbps (yes, I know this isn't actual transfer rate) and when I'm next to the Pod it connects at 1Gig...  So Pod has better wifi connectivity than the hub by the looks of it.  Shame the speed tanks when using it.

@DinoParry wrote:

Thanks Ernie_C.

I was able to get it working with your instructions so many thanks for that.

The only downside with the channel optimisation being switched on is that it moved the 5Ghz channel from 100 (the only network on this channel) back to 40 something which now overlaps perfectly with about 8 other networks in the area (using wifi analyser app on phone to see the before/after effects). 

The wifi speed has taken a nosedive down to about 100Mbps (even when standing about 6 feet from the hub 4!)

Interestingly, when I'm next to the hub 4 I get my phone tell me it's connected at 866Mbps (yes, I know this isn't actual transfer rate) and when I'm next to the Pod it connects at 1Gig...  So Pod has better wifi connectivity than the hub by the looks of it.  Shame the speed tanks when using it.

And this is why hardware shouldn't be left to make the (wrong) choices for you.

Best practices is to set fixed channels.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It may be best practice in your opinion but one that requires constant review as the WiFi environment around your network changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Have reverted back to original wifi setup. The pod was free so worth trying.

VM have to aim for the "plug and pray" masses so I wasn't expecting anything too spectacular. I'll invest in a wifi 6 mesh when I win the lottery..

Is the advice still same now ??? I had split signal on hub 3 and the pod worked, there sending a replacement for the 4 as the say it should connect to split also, i think it needs the 2.4 as its been 7/8 months since your Awnser ? I dont know if they made adjustments 

to be honest the hub 4 seems to boost the Wi-Fi better anyway, so the pod may not be needed but its a real pain ! Smart Wi-Fi isnt for us as it just buffered all the bloody time 

thanks 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Brucewayne

The advise still remains the same. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M