cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent internet connection

agp_236
Joining in

My internet connection keeps going down every few minutes and then comes back again.

I ran the diagnostic checks and it says

"One of the Hub’s WiFi bands isn’t active which might be causing issues. Follow the steps to reset the Hub’s settings."

I reset my router twice but is still says the same.

Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi agp_236,

It's possible that you haven't fully reset the hub as the VM instructions aren't quiet right.

Keep the hub switched on and disconnect any ethernet connections, then push the reset button firmly with a paperclip or something similar.

Keep it pressed in for a full minute.

Wait around 10 minutes and it should revert to factory settings. You can now reconnect the ethernet cables.

If you previously changed your router password it won't work and you will have to use the one printed on the sticker on the router. You can always change it again by going into the settings

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks - the router was reset correctly and the password was reset. I connected using the original  password but still having the same issue.

Anyone from Virgin care to help??

I am really one step away from switching  to another provider. 

Hi @agp_236,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you have been getting that error message with your wifi as well as intermittent service. I want to best help regarding this as it would be sad to see you go.

I have been able to access your account using forum details. It appears back end that your hub may be having issues with coverage. Please try the following link and let me know if it helps https://virg.in/wifisos.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Followed the instructions. 

Outcome of the test still the same...  "One of the Hub’s WiFi bands isn’t active which might be causing issues. Follow the steps to reset the Hub’s settings."

I reset the router twice as per the instructions.

Still the same message....No progress.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suggest trying the following. Turn off Smart/intelligent WiFi and separate the 2 bands with different SSID names like, xxx-2 and xxx-5.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Smart WIFI is already off. 

Not sure how to separate the bands manually

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Follow this...

Go to advanced>wireless>security, and rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx_2 & xxxxx_5) -- use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 
Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 
You should also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.
See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you for the advice. It looks more stable now, I will give it some time to see how it is going.

Annoyingly my printer does not see the 5Ghz network and I have switch every time I need to print.