cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a new HUB4 router change my IPv4 address?

MarcWithersea
Tuning in

Hi,

To cut a long story short; my IPv4 address was hacked (compromised) some time ago, whenever the IP Lease Time gets near to expiring it shifts forward a few days so never actually dynamically changes.

I've spent 3 hours (not exaggerating) on the phone to Virgin Medias technical support team about this, they cannot see why it is not changing when it is supposed too and ask they do is repeatedly tell me it's going to changed even though it does not. Essentially they have not be very helpful at all.

So my question to them and to you is; Will a new super Hub4 router give me a different IPv4 Address? They couldn't answer...can you?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

g0akc
Problem sorter

It should since it will have a different MAC address

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A new router would give you a new external IP address, VM will not accommodate this.

If you put the hub in modem mode and purchase your own router to connect this would give you a new IP address

Thanks for the replies so swiftly they're much appreciated.

I won't be purchasing anything because as far as I'm concerned my IPv4 address is compromised and it's up to Virgin to change it, but alas they could not when I spoke to them (!?).

If a new router does not change the IPv4 address then I'll be switching broadband provider, as I'm deeply concerned about future hacking on the same address.

as said a change of hub WILL change your ip addy - VM will not [usually] change your hub unless it is faulty - the advice you had from CS [offshore] sounds typical unfortunately - they are clueless when questions go off script

they cannot change your ip addy and whilst VM ip's are not static they are sticky and you may have the same one for years

again as said you can change it on the hub by going to modem mode but if you go back to riouter mode it will usually go back to the origal ip

so you have a few options

convince CS  to exchange your hub

run in modem mode with a 3rd party router

change isp and that can be costly if you are still in contract

Tony.
Sacked VIP

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@MarcWithersea wrote:

Hi,

To cut a long story short; my IPv4 address was hacked (compromised) some time ago, whenever the IP Lease Time gets near to expiring it shifts forward a few days so never actually dynamically changes.

That's certainly very odd behaviour.  Have you tried a factory default reset to see if it clears the issue?

The other possibility is that the hack is resident in one of your devices rather than in the Hub itself. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I've pressed the RESET button and also tried turning off the router for 60+seconds and neither forced an ipv4 address change.

Would a Factory Reset in the settings menu do any different? If so I will try that.

Neither of those things will change the IP address 

The IP address is loosely bound to the hardware MAC address of the hub (router).  It’s issued by the VM DHCP server.

It may change from time to time but generally stay the same, often for years.

As indicated, VM won’t change the hub unless it’s confirmed faulty during a technician visit (or if there’s some other change dictating a move to a newer hub).

If it’s such an issue for you get your own router, preferably one with the option to clone the MAC address (as mine has). You can then change it in the future.  You need only spend about 40 quid for a decent used one.

Some ISPs, such as BT, have different behaviour - their network will generally give a different IPV4 (and V6) address at each reboot. Not VM.  I find VMs good and therefore don’t usually bother with dynamic DNS for example.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

IF there is a resident bug/hack in the router, a factory reset should remove it.  Make sure you do this properly - after holding in the pin switch for at least 30 secoonds, do not restart the Hub - leave it restart in its own time. 

But I'd be surprised if the Hub has sufficient intelligence to have been subverted to repeatedly reset as you described, which is why I suggested looking for something untoward in a connected device.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.