cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub requires daily restarts, all services stop working

oli356
Tuning in
Over a few month period in 2020 we had several visits from Virgin technicians of different seniority who replaced the Superhub (twice in fact), changed all cabling from the house to the cabinet and exhausted all troubleshooting steps (including support from the network team). 

The problem is that the hub would stop responding, new clients wouldn't get an IP address, existing clients had the connectivity stop working etc (no Internet access, hub Web page not accessible etc). The workaround was to restart the superhub which I had to do literally a 100+ times throughout this period in 2020 as the hub was breaking one or more times a day.

The only solution we found was using Modem mode on the hub and Virgin contributed a small sum of money towards buying the router. 

Long story short, yesterday I reset the superhub and disconnected the 3rd party router. The hub was now acting as a router again for the first time in 2 years. 4 hours later whilst doing a presentation to 50 people, the router broke with the exact same symptoms as it had back in 2020. 

I was debating to myself whether to try and follow this up with Virgin considering the time it took for both parties to deal with this last time, with no actual fix and virgin techs were completely out of ideas. The only thing we never tried was trying the latest version of the superhub, I can't remember why, but considering every cable from the premise to the cab was changed, I don't know why this was never tried. The problem can't be with the wan considering LAN connectivity and services (dhcp) breaks when we have the issue. 

However without getting this resolved properly, I am unable to extend the wireless in the house without buying another 3rd party router which I do not want to do. 

16 REPLIES 16

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Run the Hub in modem mode with just a single laptop connected and see if that breaks,  If not, go back to Router mode and add in your IT kit one piece at a time.  It could be something on your LAN is breaking the Hub.  It may take a while but it could find the culprit ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Modem mode is fine, there are no issues in modem mode. 

In router mode from the extensive troubleshooting done 2 years ago, we saw the device stop functioning with just a normal desktop computer connected, nothing fancy.  

Hi oli356, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having issues again with your connection. 

Whilst I understand any symptoms may be the same as previously, we would need to go through diagnostics as the network would have changed within 2 years. 

Taking a look at things our side, the Hub itself is looking fine. The power and signal levels are all optimal and there is no faults on the network segment that you're on. 

The hub is showing in modem mode so some of our checks won't work. Do you have a broadband quality monitor in place? If not, set one up here. This will see if the disconnections are being recorded and will also allow us to check for any patterns. Make sure you pop back here with your live URL link. Once we have this, we can move on then 🙂 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It doesn't matter about the connection though, even if the coaxial cable is unplugged I should be able to access the Web page of the hub, right? Which I can't when have the issue.. Therefore it's meaningless.

Likewise, its 100% reliable in modem mode, so it's not a connection thing. Only when I go to routed mode do I have the issue. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Reset the hub then cut power to the house.
---------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9919d558e1365b3737d3154861ff88a5d7f54dee

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@oli356 wrote:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9919d558e1365b3737d3154861ff88a5d7f54dee

Mostly nothing wrong with your BQM

@legacy1, indeed - there is nothing wrong with the WAN, this is apparent.

Whilst using the Superhub in router mode again it played up this evening (8pm). The outage here though is just during the Superhub restart which i had to do, the public IP address was pingable until the moment i pulled the power cable.

Took a few notes before I restarted it, which are the same as 2 years ago.. the problem is not with the WAN

• Default gateway (Hub) does not respond via ICMP or HTTP(s)
  • Pings work to the public IP
  • Switching within the LAN between clients is fine (can ping between clients)
  • Can ARP for default gateway IP
  • Yellow/greeny light on the hub

2c325c371279a983948fcc8d395121620e8da6ea-06-04-2022

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Your live BQM has stopped working? has your WAN IP changed?

Thiers not much you can tell with the hub in router mode you will need to use modem mode and a PC with Wireshark with start filter:
port 68 or port 67 or arp
to know whats going on at 8pm
https://www.wireshark.org/