cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow WiFi on iPhone

DCrossland
On our wavelength

Hi, over the past couple of months I have experienced very slow WiFi when using my iPhone 7, all the other devices in my house work fine with no issues but mine and my girlfriends iPhones appear to have intermittent connection. I have tried the usual things, ensuring the router isn’t obstructed, turning off anything that could be interrupting the signal and even run some cables to some devices so the WiFi isn’t as busy but still my connect seems hit and miss. When my connection seems to drop I still have full signal showing on the phone, when I do a speed test it’s inconclusive, sometimes it won’t let me do a test at all and appears to have no internet and other times it does a test and starts slow 2-10mbps and builds up to the usual 100-200mbps yet my phone still struggles loading simple images or videos on the likes of YouTube/instagram. Please can anyone help or has anyone else experienced this before?

Thanks in advance 

48 REPLIES 48

Hi missmelissa,

Sorry to hear about this issue, to save you calling in again, We can look into this via a web chat,

David_Bn

We are having exactly the same issue, we have used so much data this month as we cant use wifi, it just keeps dropping out.  There are 4 of us using iphones and ipads and now we fight to get on the pc as that seems to be ok, although even this is running slower than before.  Do we all have the same hub 3.0?  Is there any point phoning Virgin it sounds like they will just tell me everything is fine.  Is anyone thinking of swapping providers? 

Yes we have the hub 3. I called virgin the other week and was told the same as always, and then I was told I will be sent a new hub....

I’ve received it but haven’t switched it yet as this is the 4th time it has been switched and it has never helped so am not rushing to do it now. 

A gentleman at The Ideal Home Show on the Virgin stand gave me our area managers details to email, which I did and I’ve never had a response. 

Im tired of wasting anymore time on this, so yes we are very close to moving providers!

Hi Rean349,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I'm really sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your WiFi dropping out and I can appreciate how frustrating this would be.

Do the drop outs happen in certain areas of the property that are a little further away from the hub? If so, do you have out connect app? I'd recommend it to use to do scans of each room in the property to check for any signal issues.

Do you experience drop outs on a wired connection too?

Thanks

Melissa 

Hi Melissa 

I've checked the rooms and according to the app they are all ok,  the wired connections can be really slow and other times it's fine.  the biggest problem is definitely the iphone connections which used to be absolutely fine but in the last 2 months we have all run out of data as we've had to use data to use our phones.  Currently trying to get my phone to do speedtest but it takes ages.  Today it shows 75.9n mbps download and 12.1 upload.  Yesterday it was 45.6 and 11.8.  

Thanks for your help

Rean

Hello Rean349

I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can pass security and check what might be causing this issue 

Just check the purple envelope top right of your screen 

Gareth_L

Hi Rean

Hope they find a solution for you, if they do, please let me know!

Thanks!

I may as well add to this thread as my own was ignored.

i’m having the same issue with my Wi-fi dropping out, mostly on my iPhone but also on my Apple TV.

i recently got some Powerline boosters sent to me, and while they extend the signal, it’s 2G only and the speeds are pathetic from a 200mbps line. 

The connect app now tells me that I’m not connected to my Hub and doesn’t show my power lines - wth?

This is 100% a virgin media issue. Myself, my partner and all my 3 kids use iPhones and it’s been awful. When we are at my partners house (sky broadband) everything works perfectly. When we are at my mums (BT Internet) everything works fine. I’ve been through all the tests and nothing makes a difference so everyone uses their mobile data instead. 
this will definitely make me look for another supplier come end of summer when contract is over.

Put the hub into modem mode and invest in your own better router. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi