cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re red light on Hub 3

Geo1046
Tuning in

Hi, new to the forum, but I have been reading about the red light I issue on VM hub3.

i have been having the same problem recently and despite contacting CS on several occasions, I am always told to do the usual rebooting/press reset/check cables etc none of which work. Since this issue began, the internet has been dodgy. Always dropping out then restarting. I was even told by CS that my router was waiting for an update but didn’t know what or when. It is really concerning that overheating would appear to be the main cause of this problem. If the hub is really faulty, why can’t VM send a replacement. Any/ all advice welcome.

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The usual reason for a red light Hub is that the 1p LED is failing to any one of 50 shades of yellow/orange/red and is not reporting connection problems. VM will swap the Hub3 for you - chances are to a "refurbished" unit ! And if the underlying issue is your connection it will probably have no effect on that at all.

Does the Hub actually feel hot?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hello Geo1046.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you have the red light on the Hub

As @jbrennand had advised it could be the LED failing.

However it is best that we got this replaced.

Can you make sure the Hub is in a well ventilated place away from any direct source of heat.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security to get this swapped.
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Many thanks. Router feels hot but I wouldn’t say excessively. When rebooting the unit it turns soft white/magenta then orange and finally bright red.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Geo1046,

I have booked an engineer to come out for you and swap the Hub over.

Details have been sent by Private Message.

Can you let me know how you get on.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth , engineer came out as promised and found a break in outside cabling which he said could be causing the issue of the broadband dropping out. He repaired the fault, however he did not replace the hub as you suggested. He said it appeared to be working ok and hoped that the red light was a diode problem. While willing to give him the benefit of doubt, I am still concerned about the hub overheating and have started to switch it off whenever we go out or go to bed. 
Many thanks for for your assistance.

geo1046

Hey Geo1046, thank you for reaching out and letting us know what happened.

The engineer would have made sure this is completely safe so please do not worry.

Does the Hub feel hotter than it did before the red light issues?

I am going to send to you send you a PM, so we can look into this.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi, many thanks for your response. Engineer did not do anything to the hub. He identified and fixed a fault in a cable outside the house which he said was causing the internet to be intermittent. When leaving, he said he hoped the red light was only a faulty diode. It is difficult to say that the hub is any hotter than it was prior to his visit. It is hot, but I am not sure how hot it should be. We have had this hub for some years now and it only turned red recently. Just a bit concerned that the majority of opinion seems to be that the hub is overheating .

rgds; geo1046

Hi geo1046, 

Thanks for coming back to us with an update. 

We're glad the engineer was able to check things over and get the issues with your connection sorted. 

I can see that you've since spoken with my colleague via PM and he has advised next steps. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs