cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband Customer: Poor Experience with VM, Router and CS

Rajevn
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I'm on Virgin's M100 Plan for about a month now, and I don't seem get the speeds promised at the start of the contract. I've run multiple speed tests and called in Virgin Media Customer Services Team to get to the bottom of it - Yet, still no results. I have a Hub 3.0 and it only seems to work well in lounge where the hub is, also the bedroom immediately above it. The remainder of the house is poor to non-existent, even the dining room next door to the lounge has poor or no WiFi. I did the room-by-room scan via the VM Connect app, which failed to connect to the hub in all but the 2 rooms I mentioned. I have addressed all the suggested adjustments in terms of hub position, per VM. No change. At present, the colour on the base LED on the Hub 3.0 is Yellow.

I would appreciate if a Mod could chime in with some advice

Kind regards, Rajevn

My Broadband Ping - VM BB 100 Mbps (2.4 Ghz)
26 REPLIES 26

Upstream bonded channels

Channel

Frequency (Hz)

Power (dBmV)

Symbol Rate (ksps)

Modulation

Channel ID

64 qam

64 qam

64 qam

64 qam

Upstream bonded channels

Channel

Channel Type

T1 Timeouts

T2 Timeouts

T3 Timeouts

T4 Timeouts

ATDMA

ATDMA

ATDMA

ATDMA

Primary Upstream Service Flow

SFID

Max Traffic Rate

Max Traffic Burst

Min Traffic Rate

Max Concatenated Burst

Scheduling Type

BestEffort

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All stats look fine. You should setup a BQM here to record the status of the circuit 

www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Rajevn

Thanks for your post 

Looking at this a lot of the devices are on the 2g band 

Which is slower and a wider signa, than the 5g connection 

The closer you are to the hub the better chance of connecting to the 5g

It may also be best to pinhole reset the hub and see if that helps 

Gareth_L

It might help if you tell us exactly what the problem is, just saying "VM Fibre is worse than ADSL" doesn't give us much to go on mate 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

I also see you are connected to 2.4Ghz band which ain't going to give you much speed, 50-60mb at most. If using wireless connect to the 5Ghz band.

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup

To split the wireless bands do the following:

Type  http://192.168.0.1  into your URL address bar on your browser and login into the Hub with your chosen password or use the settings password on the Hubs sticker on the bottom of the Hub and set up the Hub with a new password. Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Smart Wi-Fi and tick the disable “channel optimisation” box if available in your router settings and save settings.  Then go to Advanced>Wireless>Security and rename the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network SSID's.  Change them to whatever you like, for example JohnsVirgin_2 and JohnVirgin_5.  You can keep the same wi-fi passwords or use one of your choosing, then click apply settings and restart the Hub. Your two wi-fi networks will now be separated and you can select whichever network you want to connect too, for example the JohnsVirgin_2 (2Ghz) or JohnsVirgin_5 (5Ghz). The 2Ghz one has a greater range but has a slower speed and the 5Ghz one has less range but faster speeds. Be aware that some older devices will only see the 2.4Ghz SSID but most modern devices will come with 5Ghz capability.

Also please be aware that all your previously connected wireless devices will need to be connected again to your new SSID's with you new passwords or your old password if you decided to keep them.

Thanks for your input, but the signal on the 5 Ghz Band is poor to non-existent in my house; it only really becomes a reasonable solution if I close to the router. Sorry, If I've not given any context, here is the Previous Thread that was created. 

If you can only use 2.4Ghz band then you are severely restricted speed wise, as I say, 50-60mb maybe pushing it to 80-90mb depending on how close you are to the Hub. As stated from previous posts you would be better off with a decent router and run the Virgin Hub in modem mode for better all round coverage or use a direct connection via Ethernet cable (Cat5e or better) which will always be best. Even a decent mesh system would be of benefit giving to good signal and access to 5Ghz band. I use a direct connection with my main PC via Ethernet cable and wireless for everything else but most of my devices are on the 5Ghz band and the only things that are 2.4Ghz are Smartplugs which don't need much bandwidth as they only act as switches anyway.

Also try to keep to one thread at a time mate, it saves a lot of confusion for the rest of us 🙂

Hi @Rajevn,

Apologies for the delayed response here. How are your speeds looking today? Taking a look at your BQM (thanks for sharing that with us) it looks like things have improved today.

Have you been able to test and confirm what you're getting via a wired connection yet?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!