cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet regular drop out every night

Hazzer111
Tuning in

Good morning, 

Having a rather frustrating issue with my Internet. I have a hub 4 in modem mode connected to TP Link Ax72.

For the last 3 nights we have woken to no Internet connection. On the tp link router that works fine, just it isn't receiving anything from the hub 4. Eventually I found that resetting the hub 4 to default brought the internet back. Obviously this isn't ideal as that means having to set up every morning. 

To me it appears that the Hub 4 may not be performing as expected and dying in the night. 

I would appreciate some support on this. 

I haven't put the router in modem mode so far today, to try and isolate the issue to see if it is just modem mode related or not. 

BQM graph below, note that I did actually get Internet back about 3pm. Just the ip address changed so still appeared as a packet loss. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2682f51a699ae8e8f857b47e3c99d5903d4984d4-08-11-2023

13 REPLIES 13

Hazzer111
Tuning in

Hoping someone from VM can take a look at this ASAP?

For some reason the support offered online told me to come here instead of resolving it there and then. This is the poor service I have come to expect with virgin. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, the link gets a 404 error  - you need to screenshot it and blank out you ip address and post the photo - or follow instructions on the website to... "share live link".

If its jus in the early hours, this is the time that VM make network changes/updates etc which causes loss of signal for a short period.  But, it usually doesnt continue for more than a day or two.  If it does it should be reported on the automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - see if anything is reported there.

Also look in the Hub settings for the Network Logs page.  Are there any clues in those for the times you note the drops ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hazzer111
Tuning in

Image attached below.

This is what is displayed in the network log (mac addresses removed):

Hazzer111_1-1699460333584.png

Hazzer111_0-1699459999918.png

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks like the network being shut down whilst they work on it.  How many nights has this occurred ?

It should be reported on the “check service,”Area status webpage (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status - or  also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.

Anything reported on those ?  If not, a VM person can comment as if not thatr it could be your Hub cutting out randomly for some reason

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hazzer111
Tuning in

Thanks for the replies it's appreciated. The internet has dropped out 3 nights in a row now, last night when it happened I was awake so called the number and also went on the service status site. It said there was no issue. Obviously not the case!

Only when I then hit reset to default on the hub did any Internet return. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wonder if this customer lives near you...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/VM-hub-4-dropping-Internet-every-night/td...

--------------------
John
--------------------

Good spot thankyou. Pm send, will report back. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

for more testing when in modem mode get the WAN MAC of your TP Link and put on a PC NIC then connect that up to the hub you can run wireshark with filter:

port 68 or port 67 or arp

Wireshark · Go Deep

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hazzer111
Tuning in

So I had changed the hub 4 back go normal mode and had no issues since the last post (still with all devices connected to the tp link router). 2 days ago I turned it back to modem mode. This morning the Internet was down again. Doesn't appear to be a coincidence.