Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Consistency

BEYONDERuk
Tuning in

Hi all 

Systems Engineer of 12 years here. 

Upgraded from my measly 34mb BT adsl Internet to Virgin 500mb Internet.

I had Virgin before years ago and it was fantastic hence my coming on board. This time however, it's been nothing short of catagorically dreadful. 

My router drops at least once a day, and the speeds can be anywhere between 380mb to 1.6mb.. Its THAT inconsistent. I work from home, this cannot happen. 

I have to restart the router at least twice a day due to drops and general connectivity issues both WiFi and Wired. I cannot get a hold of Virgin at all due to the phone system and I've been stuck in a loop over and over on the app where I simply cannot get to book an engineer at all. 

Long story short, the router we have is old, like 5th hand kinda tat old, the LEDs on the front dont work at all making restarts very difficult even for experienced IT professionals, the router takes about 20 minutes to come back on once its turned off when in restarting it and at this stage I'm positive that the line also needs checking as these massive ups and downs are just unacceptable for the amount we pay, and at this stage BT are looking significantly better and this grass ain't that green whatsoever.

Where do I go from here? Someone please give me a solution that isn't navigating the ridiculous app or trying to side step the automated phone system or the insufferable 1st line phone team telling me to turn it off and on again if I finally do get through?

Kind regards

Dom 

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
setup a BQM try not to reboot your hub
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Test by wire.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BEYONDERuk,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, it is great to have someone with your system knowledge as part of this community.

Sorry to see that you have started facing an intermittent connection after re-joining us recently, this really isn't the service we wish to provide as we understand the importance of a consistent service while trying to work from home.

I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and have ran some diagnostic checks, although no issues were found I can see you would benefit from our WiFi Max which will make sure you have coverage all over the property and also guarantees a minimum of 20mb via WiFi in each room.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Alessandro

Not entirely sure what you are looking for but here's a snap of most days

BEYONDERuk_0-1671844825608.png

I've never been so miserable with this god damn internet. I can't get any work done, i can't do anything. My 33mb BT was significantly better than this mess.

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi BEYONDERuk,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, it is great to have someone with your system knowledge as part of this community.

Sorry to see that you have started facing an intermittent connection after re-joining us recently, this really isn't the service we wish to provide as we understand the importance of a consistent service while trying to work from home.

I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and have ran some diagnostic checks, although no issues were found I can see you would benefit from our WiFi Max which will make sure you have coverage all over the property and also guarantees a minimum of 20mb via WiFi in each room.

Regards

Paul.

I’m really impressed that the VM bods can see the topology of your house to the extent that they are able too try and sell  you WiFi Marc (at an extortionate priced=, btw)   It’s not what you cam to the forum for  

In your original post your mentioned an old router - “tat”; what’s that about?  Are you in modem mode with a crappy router?   The BQM shows red overnight  Do you turn the system off at night or was that an outage?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi again BEYONDERuk, thanks for this update and for reaching out about the issues faced with your connection recently.

Based on our most recent checks, there are no area faults that may be  affecting your broadband services currently however we'd love to help with this.
Could you please update us on the status of your connection since you last posted here? Are you still experiencing an intermittent service?

Also, can you tell us if you're using any 3rd party equipment such as a 3rd party router or Wi Fi boosters currently?

Please, do let us know of the above and we're glad to assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs