cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent broadband - no service for a few minutes c. three times an hour

nelly4
Joining in

Hi folks,

Hoping someone can help as I'm having no luck. My broadband seems to be going down very regularly at least three times an hour. It's making working very challenging as I rely on a remote desktop that needs constant connection.

The Virgin Media check services page has been showing a fault that engineers are working on for two weeks now but I really could do with a resolution quicker than that. Does the live graph from thinkbroadband give any clues as to what the issue might be?

Am using a hub 4 with three eero 6 pros. All has been fine (and good!) up until the last two weeks.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm based in London N1 for what its worth as I've seen a few people mention similar on twitter and the nextdoor app. Even on these board pages people nearby seem to be having issues.

6faa38717ac8bc8b473bf13827d1aa42e3f6c2cd

10 REPLIES 10

nelly4
Joining in

Well, I've had an update and someone has 'initiated HITS'. Unfortunately things are still very unstable. Here's the initial response i received via Whatsapp

As I see that An SNR outage has been detected on Outage Communicator that is affecting your entire area and you Neil.

DTI 544 - High power levels on - D23200 / D23206 - N1 - Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are already working on it.

The issue will be fixed on 04 JUL 2023 13:10.

For your current situation I can help you by making some changes in the Hub settings that will help you fasten the broadband speed and bandwidth as well.

Would you like to make those changes?

Hi @nelly4 

Welcome to the community forums. 

Sorry to hear that you're having service issues that the team have advised is caused by an SNR outage. 

These are intermittent signal interference issues that can be caused by many factors and are sometimes quite hard to locate the cause and fully resolve. 

The team have provided and estimated fix time for 4th July 2023 at 13:10. After this time or once the outage looks closed/fixed, please reboot your equipment and let us know if you have any further issues.

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

nelly4
Joining in

Hi Carley - unfortunately whatever was done yesterday has made the disconnects more frequent albeit they don't last as long. I really can't work like this and also don't understand how it can take three weeks to fix

Hi @nelly4 

Really sorry to hear that the area issue is starting to affect your services more frequently. I can assure you the team are working through to try and fully resolve the issue. 

As mentioned, an SNR outage can be quite hard to locate the root cause and could need additional investigations into the complex work needed to stable the signal.  

We appreciate a lot of customers  do work from home, however if you have a residential account any fault would still be treated via a residential process. I can assure you we will do all we can to get this fixed as soon as possible. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

nelly4
Joining in

Hi Carley - I got a text yesterday eve to say that the issue was fixed and to restart all my equipment. I’ve done this and there was definitely an improvement this morning albeit still having drops. This afternoon things have got worse again. I’ve gone through the service checker and it said things were fine which they’re clearly not. Please can you advise when I can get an engineer out to look at this

Thanks for coming back to let us know @nelly4. Sorry things don't seem to be any better for you.

I'll be happy to take a look at this further for you, I'll send you a PM to confirm your details so this can be done.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

nelly4
Joining in

Hi Nathan - have replied to your PM but not heard back

Bhavesh1
Tuning in

Frequent broadband outages make work challenging with a reliance on a constant connection. Virgin Media acknowledges the fault, but two weeks is too long for resolution. Shared experiences on social platforms indicate a localized issue in London N1, highlighting the need for a prompt solution.

nelly4
Joining in

Thanks Bhavesh - I really agree. Have had to purchase data plans so I can hotspot just to have a reliable connection for Zoom/Remote Desktop