Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router shot?

billkilv
Up to speed

Hub 4.

Intermittent buffering issues over Wi-Fi

VM Connect unable to connect to the HUB (tried all the re-boots/reinstall).

Cannot access the router set-up (tried different browsers and devices)

100% Packet loss on Broadband Quality Monitor

Real speed seems OK, although sometimes fails to connect the router.

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are any of your neighbours experiencing the same issues?

Check first for any “known network faults in your location - Look in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/service-status)

2) Then also Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues and fix estimates, down to street cab/ postcode level.
The "compensation "timer" can also be started on this number if appropriate.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

In the recent months many Router mode Hub 4 end up in this state
( i.e. admin menu white / blank screen, Connect app not working, VM Pods disconnected )

The Hub 4 may restart the admin menu & Connect app after
a 60 second press of RESET, followed by leaving the Hub 4 powered on to revert to the shipping condition.

The 60s RESET does appear to be a temporary fix that may only last for days before the Hub 4 fails again and ends up back in the same situation.

A replacement Hub is the likely outcome.

BQM with a 100% packet loss is often caused by the BQM not pointing at the Public IP of the Hub,
check the Public IP via : https://whatismyipaddress.com/   ( VPNs & Apple Relay must be OFF to get the correct answer of  ISP = VM + just the IPv4 of the Hub )

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Client62 is usually right but on this occasion may be putting 2+2 = 5.  

If the Hub 4 (which I've had for about 4 years) is passing data, then it's not shot.  End of.

The Connect app is what's shot.  That's well documented and just because Hub 4 users have problems, Client62 has made the association.

The factory reset never fixes anything that an electrical off/on won't fix.  All it'll do is lose you another 20 minutes of what's left of your life will it calls down the latest firmware.

Sorry Client62.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Client62
Alessandro Volta

We have seen dozens of instances of Router mode Hub 4 in the same state.
VM Mods have acknowledged this as an issue under investigation.

@Client62 wrote:

We have seen dozens of instances of Router mode Hub 4 in the same state.
VM Mods have acknowledged this as an issue under investigation.

Like they would know.  Got a clear example?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

The reply from Kath_F to the post by MorbidRobbo is what caught my attention. ( bottom of page 1 )

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Can-t-access-hub-4-settings-or-vm-connect-a...

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Sure - they've raised a ticket.  I don't think the hub is 'shot' though.  The pods/Connect App are are a party to this and, of course, it does indeed all have to work together and thus it would be reasonable to suspect the software in the Hub 4.  It won't be a hardware issue.

My Hub 4 firmware was updated earlier this month:

Standard specification compliant: DOCSIS 3.1
Hardware version: 11
Software version: 01.04.092.07.09.EURO.PC20(Open Source Information)