cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 Red Light

Edb123
Joining in

Hi, 

the LED light on the front of my Hub3 is red which I’ve read indicates an overheating issues? I’ve tried rebooting a number of times but the light just remains red. 

there doesn’t seem to be an issue with my network or broadband connection. Does the hub need replacing? 

thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The red light is an overheat warning.

CHeck to see if the hub is actually hot. If it is stop using it as it may be a fire hazard.

Even if the warning is erronious, which is the case with several batches of current hubs, it needs replacing.

I have escalated this thread to the Forum Team who will contact you in due course to organise a replacement.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Nodrogd! It is hot but I’m loathed to turn it off as it’s heating the front room! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Edb123,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your Hub showing a red light.

A red light can mean that your Hub is overheating or that there's an internal error. If your Hub is warm to the touch or smells like burning, please unplug the Hub from the mains as this could be a potential fire hazard.

Can you please confirm if your Hub is standing in a well ventilated area and if your have the Modem Mode turned off? The Modem Mode setting can change the Hub light to a dark pink that almost looks red. If you have Modem Mode enabled, please turn it off and let us know if the Hub light colour changes.

Please let us know so we can look into this further for you. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for the message Paulina. 
The hub was in modem mode and when switching to router mode the light turned yellow. I’m assuming the red light is actually pink and there isn’t an issue with the hub? 

Thanks for coming back to us with this info, Edb123.

Yes, if the light has turned yellow/white this will mean everything is fine and the light was just appearing red/pink due to being in modem mode.

If you need help with anything else, just give us a shout 🤙

Beth