cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are TV & Broadband Carried Down One Cable?

NickRichardson
Joining in

I am a TV & Broadband customer and I have to move my router due to upcoming building work.

I would like to place the router next to my TV box (It's currently elsewhere in the house).

Ideally, can I split the TV cable into 2, behind the TV unit, one for the TV Box one for the Router?

It would save attempting to lay a new cable from the Virgin box outside under the floorboards to the new location.

I'm happy to have an engineer visit and add the splitter etc  BUT if I need 2 separate Coax from the box outside, I'll probably have to site the router somewhere else.

Please can someone advise if my splitting of one cable will work?

Thanks in advance for any help

4 REPLIES 4

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What you want is certainly possible - but best to book VM Tech visit to do this. They will provide new cables of the correct length and fit new terminators and then rebalance the power levels (if needed) and test the equipment.

All for a reasonable £25.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Be aware with the VM hub next to the TV or behind it may well affect the WiFi signal in other parts of your home.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @NickRichardson,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and for your query. I can see that you were already advised by our Community Members about the £25 appointment charge to have non-fault related issues resolved or have equipment moved.

Can you tell me if you've been able to get in touch with our team to discuss this further and have this arranged, or do you need some assistance with this?

Please let us know so we can look into this further if needed.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

g0akc
Problem sorter

@NickRichardson wrote:

Ideally, can I split the TV cable into 2, behind the TV unit, one for the TV Box one for the Router?

Please can someone advise if my splitting of one cable will work?

Yes - that's how our installation is done.

We have a splitter behind the TV unit so the same incoming cable is shared by the hub and the Virgin TV box back there.

Apparently, to change your installation, the location of the splitter simply needs to be changed so it's near the TV. Cable lengths will need to be changed.

Note that some of the TV services come via broadband (via the hub) such as catch up, apps, on demand etc.  Linear (live) TV that you can watch as it comes (or record) comes into the house down the same cable.

You need to arrange a technician appointment as suggested for a £25 fee.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!