cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revert to previous package

Just_Mike
Tuning in

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me after 3 unsuccessful calls to the VM call centre. 

I am an existing customer of Virgin broadband and entered into a new contract on 11/1/23. For various reasons I wish to cancel this new contract within the 14 day cooling off period and revert back to my old package which has now ended, but to continue on a rolling 30 day contract.

However, I cannot get the call centre adviser to understand my request - they just think I want to cancel my contract and service altogether, which is not what I want, and it is getting very frustrating! I now have less than a week in the cooling off period to sort this out.

I don't know where to go from here - help!

Thanks

Mike

6 REPLIES 6

Portery
Fibre optic

If you ring on a vm landline 150 opt 1, opt 4, opt 4 non vm landline 0345 454 1111 opt 1 opt 4, opt 4 and tell them you want to revert to the old contract but doing so you would have no discounts and you would pay the true value of the package . 

Thanks for the reply. That was the number and options I've been calling.

I just called again using the terminology in your reply, but they say they can't do this because the old contract has been closed and I can't revert back to it. My only options are to cancel the new order and lose my broadband connection, or continue with the new contract knowing I am moving house to an area where Virgin isn't supported and paying a huge early disconnection fee.

I even said I was willing to pay more for a rolling 30 day contract, but they can't do it.

I think VM customer service is appalling. It's a shame, because the actual broadband is fast and reliable, but when you want to cancel or change it back to your old package they make it as difficult as possible. I will not be recommending them to any family or friends on this basis.

So I am back to square one.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Just_Mike wrote:

Thanks for the reply. That was the number and options I've been calling.

I just called again using the terminology in your reply, but they say they can't do this because the old contract has been closed and I can't revert back to it. My only options are to cancel the new order and lose my broadband connection, or continue with the new contract knowing I am moving house to an area where Virgin isn't supported and paying a huge early disconnection fee.

I even said I was willing to pay more for a rolling 30 day contract, but they can't do it.

I think VM customer service is appalling. It's a shame, because the actual broadband is fast and reliable, but when you want to cancel or change it back to your old package they make it as difficult as possible. I will not be recommending them to any family or friends on this basis.

Start documenting all of your comm's with VM in detail as you have been given incorrect info preventing you from exercising your right to cancel during a cooling off period (and it is not the first time it has been mentioned on here recently).

Wait for the VM forum team to get here and advise, usually within a few days.

If you get no progress via the VM forum team you would be looking at escalating to arbitration

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Just_Mike wrote:

or continue with the new contract knowing I am moving house to an area where Virgin isn't supported and paying a huge early disconnection fee.

Hi @Just_Mike 

Wishing you all the best for the upcoming house move.

You should be able to revert back to your previous contract if it is still available, or the nearest equivalent, and also back to any of the remaining contract length if you were still in contract. If not you would be on a rolling contract at the original full price until you give your 30 days cancellation notice

All is not lost, here's some good news.😄 

You may actually be able to save money by keeping the new contract.

VM stopped charging customers early termination fees when moving to properties not connected to the VM network (within the UK) on 16th February 2022.

https://news.virginmediao2.co.uk/virgin-media-o2-ends-charges-for-off-net-home-movers/ 

When the time comes to move you would need to speak to Home movers team by dialling 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone but it's best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

(I'm afraid the forum team don't have access to the systems to deal with moving home or cancellations.)

VM will still charge the early termination fees but will then refund them as long as you give them evidence, within 30 days of cancelling, of you residing at the new property.

The accepted documents showing your new address are :- 

bank statement, driving licence, insurance policy, mortgage information, rental agreement or utility bill

If you don't want to be tied up on the phone you could also text VM on 0753 305 1809 or use WhatsApp on 0730 532 7112, however please be aware that replies aren't instant from either of these services, often taking 4 to 6 hours, but the agents will reply as quickly as they possibly can.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I tried calling up again to no avail.

I've since decided to completely cancel within the 14 day cooling off period. This disconnects me from their broadband service but I was so hacked off with the whole process I just did it and have gone with Three mobile broadband for a couple of months instead on a 1 month rolling contract. 

Incidentally, I received a call from VM a week later, from a UK based customer services department, who basically confirmed what @newapollo said: no early disconnection fees if you move house to an area where there isn't VM, and also that I should have been offered a rolling 30 day contract on my old deal. This info came too late.

VMs loss, and I won't be going back.

Thanks for all you guys help.

Hi Just_Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us, sorry to hear you have now left Virgin Media due to the issues you had trying to revert back to your current deal, we are sorry for your experience and wish you all the luck with your new provider.

Regards

Paul.