cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to new address - contract renewed?

Ligh7bringer
Joining in

Hi, a few months ago I transferred my VM broadband to a new address as I moved. I called customer service to set up the transfer and specifically asked whether my contract will be renewed as I was not planning to stay with VM after the contract ends. I was assured that my contract would not be renewed and will end in February 2022 when it was supposed to. Today I was looking for something in my VM account and noticed that I have a new contract ending in 2023! I am currently not using the VM broadband as my new flat has internet included and I definitely do not need to keep paying for it until 2023. Can something be done about this?

8 REPLIES 8

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Ligh7bringer 

I hope you've settled in to  your new home by now.

This contract renewal often crops up.

When moving house your current contract cost and length are carried over to your new address.

The only time the contract is extended/renewed is if you have made any changes to your package.

A member of the Forum Team should pick this up for you in a day or two.

They will probably invite you into a PM to verify you as the account holder and take it from there. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Ligh7bringer

Sorry to hear of the confusion regarding the contract term following your house move, we appreciate the frustration and confusion this can cause.

As newapollo has already advised, if when moving all of the services were to remain the same the original contract term should remain. Basically, the the end date of the contract would remain the same from when it was originally taken. 

The only way a new contract term should be applied is if any changes are made to the package when moving it to the new address. Do you know if it is exactly the same package? When checking your bills, do they differ at all from before the move?

Rob

I believe it is the same package, I certainly haven't asked for any changes to it. I'm paying the same amount as before.

I'm happy to look into this further for you Ligh7bringer and will send you a Private Message to get some more details form you.

Looking forward to hearing back form you.

Rob

@Robert_P wrote:

I'm happy to look into this further for you Ligh7bringer and will send you a Private Message to get some more details form you.

Looking forward to hearing back form you.

Rob

I read these forums in disbelief sometimes. This seems to be happening a lot, isn't it about time some staff member flagged this to a supervisor/manager to try and stop this happening rather than just dealing with the consequences afterwards.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your concern  @shawty1984

In order to get these contracts removed we have to report them to our management team.

We spend a lot of time feeding back these kinds of things to our management team. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

@Zak_M wrote:

Thank you for your concern  @shawty1984

In order to get these contracts removed we have to report them to our management team.

We spend a lot of time feeding back these kinds of things to our management team. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Considering these things keep happening time after time, I think you should be referring your management team to their management team as clearly they aren't listening to your concerns. In simple terms, go higher in the chain of command.

Moving to a new address means a new contract, OK fine I get that, the contract is for supply of a service to a specific address, change address, new contract. All new contracts have a minimum 18 month period, fine, the caveat is that if you move your services and make absolutely no changes then the minimum term is adjusted to reflect how much time your original contract has left. But it appears that this requires manual intervention by a member of the management team rather than be automatic and this seems to be sometimes 'forgotten' or 'overlooked'

Now a more cynical person than me might think that VM would have absolutely no reason to change their procedures so no matter how far you go up the chain, it's very unlikely to change!