cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Virgin Media being left behind?

Jomodu
Superfast

How long will Virgin Media exist as a tv services provider? Current streaming boxes and recording devices increasingly seem to do the job cheaper and more efficiently. Pretty soon, even the most lethargic TV viewer will see the light.

I have been with NTL/VM for 21 years now and have just done some research on alternative options ie streaming services and recorder boxes. Currently, I spend almost £80 a month on a Virgin Media package for 200mb  broadband, Mix tv, V6 box, additional Tivo box, landline and call anytime. A monthly discount of  £40 from the current £120+ standard price for loyal customers. I could get more but  I am getting fed up of this continual 18-month haggling charade.

So, currently my VM service costs me £960 a year. Can I do better?

If I buy a streaming box including all the apps to cover the TV programmes I already watch plus a tv recording device - I spend a total capital cost of, say, £300. Spread over 5 years that is £60 a year (£5/month).  I don’t need landline (use existing mobiles) And I replace the additional Tivo box with an existing Amazon Prime streaming stick for my other TV. 

I continue with VM broadband at, say, £45 /month. Add the £5/month (capital cost)  and that costs me only £50/month or £600/year. A saving of some £360 over my current VM deal. For an identical service.

My point is that using streaming services and broadband is how the market seems to be  developing. Especially if you don’t have an aerial for Freeview (say £150 capital cost). 

Before long, VM could perhaps be forced into becoming primarily a broadband supplier. It doesn’t have a streaming service, or produce any in-house media, unlike some current streaming services eg Netflix, Amazon or Disney. Even Sky is developing new avenues. What is VM doing, apart from increasing prices?

Pretty soon, other broadband supply companies will be catching up VM on workable speed. Do I need 200mb speed now. Will 100mb be enough. And my iCloud/gmail accounts work much more efficiently and effectively than my NTL email.

So, is VM being left behind! 

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've mentioned having a V6 & a TiVo - next time your contract comes up for renegotiation then try to get the TiVo swapped for a V6 - you'll know how much better the V6 is than the TiVo for starters. That gives your second box additional streaming options and capability for starters.

I would suggest that the TiVo-software platform and the 360-platform (both of which are entirely different, by the way) both leave most Freeview recording boxes standing in terms of functionality - so to an extent, you're paying for that.

And whilst the 18month renewal process is a bit of a nuisance, look at it another way. Keeping on the same package for longer than 18months can leave you behind, either in terms of pricing or services. So it's an excellent chance to "revisit" things on a periodic basis.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for response. Not so sure the latest Freeview recorder boxes are that far behind - 3-4 programme recording, fully integrated tv guide, ability for return to beginning during live showing etc. 

My point is that a £350 + saving/year over VM for essentially the same service and tv programmes is surely a growing enticement and the gap can only get wider with more competition. Does the latest vm 360 box provide as much pull for the average tv user?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a tad more to TiVo/360 than just what you've mentioned, but all the same.

You also seem to be comparing with Mixit TV, which is the basic TV tier.

VM is a premium pay-TV provider with numerous additional channel bundles that Freeview don't offer. I'm not so sure there is any such thing as an "average TV viewer" to be perfectly honest.

It sounds like your viewing requirements could potentially be served by alternate setups - but doing your research is the best way to make an informed decision.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've also wondered how Sky can keep up with transponder rental and uplink costs, but they have just launched Sky Glass which is a streaming box in a cheap TV. Reports suggest all sorts of issues with it, the biggest being people can't seem to understand they can't record on it!
At present the Sky and Virgin TV services are premium tier offerings, but how long that now lasts remains to be seen.
Many do not have the bandwidth to stream UHD at present so recording to watch later is the only option

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Jomodu,

Our products and bundles are as varied as our customers.Our aim is to provide better value for money but mainly our products and services are such that you can tailor to suit your needs. Also as japitts has stated we offer a lot more channels and our equipment packs a lot of features that some TV viewers might not find with Freeview services and equipment.

Cheers,

Corey C