cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conpensation

David-Chen
Tuning in

How to ask compensation from Virgin Media as my contract and installation have been cancelled by Virgin Media without notification and explain for two months?

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, as you probably know, VM owe you compensation for the delay in installing under Ofcom's rules that you can read here in full, at the rate of £5.25 a day (daily rate updated from the full guidance as per this web page) from the first promised date through to thirty days after they issue a formal "cease notice".  A cease notice is not the same as just cancelling the contract, it's a formal notice that they do not intend to keep paying the automatic compensation.  Have you seen such a notice? Thought not, in which case the clock keeps ticking, and then there's the thirty days extra as per the Ofcom rules as soon as they do. If VM contest the amount of auto compensation you are due, be aware of this issue.

See if the forum staff can sort this all out for you.  If they can't or won't, raise a formal written complaint* posted recorded delivery to VM (address on this page) demanding that they pay you the full amount you're requesting.  If that gets the right outcome then job done.  If that gets fobbed off or they don't pay you both everything you're owed and the compo, you reply rejecting any "resolution" they offer, asking for a deadlock letter, and with the deadlock letter you ask CISAS to resolve the matter, including additional compensation of say £70 for the subsequent poor complaint handling.

* Ignore the telephone, chat and web forms for complaints.  The telephone and Whatsapp staff are poorly trained and don't understand (any) Ofcom regulations, and the web form hasn't been working reliably for over two months now.  Meanwhile VM management are saying "Wow, complaints are well down, aren't we doing a great job?"  

Dear Andrew-G:

Many thanks for your kind advice. It has been very bad being kept in dark for long in waiting for the arriving of broadband, which is critical to my work and daily life.

Best regards,

David

David-Chen
Tuning in

I sign a 18 month contract online with VM for a broadband and telephone services in Sep. The initial installation date was 13 Oct. Because of unknown reason the installation was delayed to 12 Dec. Now I heard (by chance)  that VM has cancelled the contract sometime ago without any notice to me! I’ve been contacting VM by phone for help, and all my calls ended by line cut abruptly. I logged a complain (C-161122755) and was promised a call back by a manager within 48 hours two days ago, nothing has happened since. 

1) I don’t believe the contract should be cancelled as no reason for not able to connect my house to the cable network since all my neighbours are using VM broadband. It needs only laying a 10 metres cable to from cable well to my house and my neighbour is happy to allow the work being carried through his garden.

2) if the contract should have to be cancelled in whatever reasons, I believe I would be in titles of receiving a formal cancellation notice (in writing) and being properly compensated.

Hi @David-Chen

Welcome to the community forums. 

My apologies that your installation was cancelled due to non serviceability.  We understand this can be frustrating but unfortunately this can happen on occasions due to the way we provide our network to our customers. The automatic compensation for delayed installation is granted to eligible customers after installation has been completed and does not include installation issues which are out of our control, such as wayleave permits denied or constructional issues. 

You can find all information on our automatic compensation policy here

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Thanks for your reply. I do not see the reasons of not compensating me for failing to provide services according to the contract.

Furthermore, till now I have not formally informed the contract cancellation, that I cannot stop an O2 mobile contract signed as a packed deal with the VM broadband services.

I do not know how long I’ll be kept in dark, I feel very frustrated and tired! 

Hi @David-Chen

Thank you for your response.

If the team have advised the installation has been canceled as we cannot service the property, unfortunately there is nothing further we can do.

If you contact O2 and explain the media installation has been cancelled on our side, they should be able to discuss a resolution with you if you no longer wish to keep the SIM.

I appreciate this isn't the answer you were hoping for, we are very sorry for any inconvenience or disappointment that has been caused. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Vikki,

till now I have not given any official notice of installation cancellation. It means the contract signed with VM is still standing and I could not do anything else including ending  the unwanted O2 mobile contract and arranging another broadband services. Please VM do something to help in writing to me to notify me the cancellation decision with the reasons of supporting the cancellation.