cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my Secondary to my Primary

DAKS
Tuning in

Hi,

I contacted VM by phone about a week ago as I wanted to remove my primary account and primary email and make my secondary account and related email my primary.

Currently my primary I think has been discontinued as I can no longer log into it, but when I log into my secondary it still says "This is a secondary account"

Please note I wish to retain all the emails in my secondary.

This is a reference I was given on the phone: 
P010852378

Please advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Daks,

You are very welcome, I advise trying it again in a few Days, let us know if you do need any further help,

Regards

Paul.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DAKS,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've had with getting this resolved.

I have been able to locate your account and check our the ticket you were provided.

It looks as though this has been resolved. Would you be able to try to access the email again?

^Martin

Hey Martin, thanks for your help with this matter.

My primary account (master account) the one I wanted changed I can no longer log into, not the email client or my virgin media, so I assume they have removed or changed that.

My secondary account both email and my virginmedia (the one I wanted made primary) I can still log into using the same details I always have, I have had no problem logging into that.

So originally I asked that my secondary account both "my virginmedia" and the related "email" be made primary.

Currently I can not log into what was my primary 'my virginmedia', I have no primary and when I log into my secondary 'my virginmedia' (the one I wanted made primary) it states that this is a 'secondary account'

I know this is a little confusing, I hope this helps.

Thank you for that. If you sign into your online account does it still show the secondary account as the secondary one or has this now been moved to the primary one?

^Martin

Still showing as secondary unfortunately. 

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DAKS 

My understanding of the Way Virgin Media's email system works is that a Secondary account CANNOT be promoted to a Primary account.

This is because the primary account is the keystone around which the single sign on system works, VM are the email administrators for the primary accounts, but the secondary accounts are NOT separate email addresses.  They are intimately linked to the primary account.  Essentially the Primary account is used to add the secondary accounts, and the Primary account holder is the email administrator for those accounts, i.e. they have the ability to delete those accounts and change passwords.

VM allow you to change the primary email address to a friendlier name when the account is first set up, subsequently, the primary username can be changed from a Virgin Media email address to a third party email address - Although the primary email address still remmains the same.

@Martin_N - My thoughts are is the best course of action here would be to revert whatever changes have been made to the primary account back to the original state so that the user gets all of their email addresses back and then speak to the email team to gather their thoughts on wether what the user wants is possible.  After all  I'm not a VM employee - although I have been a customer and a long standing Forum Member.  There may have been changes I'm not aware of.  Although I personally don't think there have been.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Daks,

Thanks for coming back to us, I have had a look and think what may need doing is another Ticket to make the email primary, I will invite you into a private chat so I can help further with this, again please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Hey Tim, thanks for your input, I'm currently working with Paul to resolve and will update the thread with some clarity shortly.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Paul_DN wrote:

Hi Daks,

I have had a look and think what may need doing is another Ticket to make the email primary.

@Paul_DN Please see my post.  I've never in all the time I've been active on this forum EVER seen a Secondary account promoted to a Primary account.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Daks,

You are very welcome, I advise trying it again in a few Days, let us know if you do need any further help,

Regards

Paul.