cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation - still possible?

Johnnyringo77
Joining in

Hi,

I recently agreed to take out Virgin Broadband and the engineer called to install the box on the outside of my home. I have a date of 16th Dec for an engineer to set me up in the house but I want to cancel now as my neighbours aren’t impressed with theirs.....

can I still do this or is my cooling off period over, or has it even started since I haven’t been officially switched on until the 16th?

Thanks for any help.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Johnnyringo77 

You are able to cancel prior to the installation.

It might be an idea to still allow the installation to go ahead as you can cancel within the 14 days colling off period which doesn't start until your equipment is activated. That way you can make up your mind as to whether the service is suitable for yourself.  It may well be that your neighbour prefers another service provider, or hasn't reported any faults/problems to VM.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks.

The neighbour says he can’t receive a signal upstairs (of which he could have done with his previous provider) and he was told it would be an extra £5 for better coverage in the house. 
Maybe you’re right as long as I’m sure my cooling off period didn’t start when they installed the box on my house.

Hi Johnnyringo77, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I can confirm that your 14 day cooling off period will begin once your services are installed. 

If you wish to cancel before your installation date then you can do this too. Speak to the team on 0345 454 1111 so the team can get things sorted for you. 

Just as a side note, environment does have a lot to do with WiFi so you will likely have a different result to your neighbours however we have a ton of helpful links to help optimise things. 

If you do decide to give the installation a chance and you have issue, just pop here and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Johnnyringo77 wrote:

The neighbour says he can’t receive a signal upstairs (of which he could have done with his previous provider)

Remember Virgin Media supply a broadband connection, which the router then converts into wired & wireless connections.

It sounds like your neighbour has wireless issues, which are down to the router.

VM's hubs (combined modems & routers) aren't known for their WiFi performance, but the two are still separate issues and wireless problems are separate from broadband problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

clowns202
On our wavelength

Even before my issues that caused me to leave I knew Virgin Media's routers had terrible wifi which didn't cover my whole house.

You do have options outside paying Virgin Media £5 per month extra.  You can get a third party repeaters / wifi extenders yourself or even a brand new router and put the VM device into modem only mode.

VM will say there is nothing wrong with their routers and it's the household environment - they won't support or guarantee wifi coverage. 

I can confirm that BT's home hub 2 on full fibre 900meg reaches the entirety of my house with no issues/no extras where VM's hubs never did.

Third floor gets a solid 3 bars and 120mb to 150mb speed with BT where as VM hubs dropped and couldn't maintain a connection, speed fluctuated at about 20 to 40mb on VM 1gig service/hub 4.

>>>Virgin Hub 2, Hub 3 and Hub 4 (replaced once) never did. That's 5 VM routers and the Hub 4 had the worst performance.

_ _ _my_background _ _ _
Former VM customer of 15+ years. 1Gig, xl TV and phone packages. Finally gave up after months, and many hours, of trying to get them to fix things. Never seen a company like them!

BT 900meg full fibre BB, TV, Netflix + HomePhone+free calls with all support in UK. (£94 all in)

Prevously o2> Vodafone 5G Unlimited sim & 2x Vodafone 5G 100GB sims. (£50 all in)