cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On-going lag spikes whilst gaming.

96fauj
Dialled in

I've been having issues with my hub3 200mb connection recently. I get random lag spikes whilst gaming. I have contacted virgin media and they said they are putting my connection under monitor and would contact me straight away when they observed any issues. 

The hub is in router mode as it's required for them to monitor but I'm still having the random lag spikes and nothing seems to be solved as of yet. I made a post not long ago and we setup a thinkbroadband monitor which didn't really show anything on it. 

I've attached router logs as suggested on other posts.

What are my next steps?

My Broadband Ping - Hub 4 - November - New IP BQM
82 REPLIES 82

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for confirming. 

We will update the account with that note now. 

Thanks 

Nat

14/11/2021

- No contact from Virgin media support team, no sign of any form of compensation while the quality of my connection is below acceptable.
- Since the last 7 days internet has become even more unstable. On at least 4 occasions it has disconnected during the week with me having to restart the router. I mean completely offline, disconnect.
- Timestamps of the previous point:
1. Friday (22/11) @ 13:04 (Internet completely down, had to restart router)
2. Friday (12/11) @ 09:06 (Wasn't able to attend work meeting till the end had to restart router
3. Sunday (14/11) @ 19:45 (Internet completely down, had to restart router)
4. Sunday (14/11) @ 23:10 (Internet went down whilst gaming, Connection Interrupted and complete downtime, no websites working.

It would be nice if you can also corroborate these downtimes as I'm sure you are able to see them on my router.

All I really see when I go to the router status pages is T3 timeouts

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

However I'm not sure if these are directly related to the blackouts.

- The date of my original correspondence in the form of a complaint is Monday 18th October. That makes the 8 weeks period from when I can escalate 14th December 2021. Complaint reference: C-181021265

15/11 @ 13:00
Down again, became intermittent. Having to restart router.

15/11 @ 14:00.. 

Connection is very intermittent. Gaming is now impossible, continuous connection interrupts, it's not even lag spikes, it's full on timeouts being kicked out of the gaming lobby. 

I get the feeling that ever since I started complaining about this somebody has gone and tweaked some settings and my connection is far worse than say it was 2 months ago. My neighbour is on the same virgin media connection and although he too has the lag spikes he is not experiencing complete downtime as I.

16/11 @ 19:00

Connection has been intermittent whole day. If I'm watching a youtube video, whatever has buffered will obviously carry on and then it will pause out. It's not fully disconnecting today. Restarting router.

16/11 @ 23:04

Connection drop out, Blizzard client disconnects after constant connection interrupts

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@96fauj wrote:
16/11 @ 23:04

Connection drop out, Blizzard client disconnects after constant connection interrupts

You should really append a shared BQM into your sig.  It would be additional information for comments. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adduxi - Thank you for that, I've gone and appended it. My BQM isn't correctly showing the time outs and the disconnects from what I can tell which leads me to believe that my disconnects and having to restart the router is a secondary issue to my over-utilisation issue I have had since May.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Don't forget to keep an eye on your IP address to make sure it's the same one the BQM is tracking.  Any VM network change might get you a new IP - seems to have happened to me two or three times so far this year.

No wonder... my ip address HAD actually changed. So this whole time my old ip was with somebody elses connection hence all these downtimes/disconnects weren't showing up. Thank you once again Andrew, much appreciated.