cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new customer Hub 5 with 270mb speed and very poor ping for gaming.

stuy28
Tuning in

Brand new to VM but thinking of canceling within the 14 days as ping is really bad. Had BT 33mb average 18 ping now with VM 40 - 60 making gaming awful. Lan testing results above wifi is worse. Is this normal high ping as reading alot of the same issues. Speed for anything else is amazing but gaming on BT with 33mb was much better than my now 270mb and high ping. 👍 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"VM 40 - 60 making gaming awful" - how is the Latency  measured ?

If you are new build area on RFoG like us 40+ does appear high we have latency of 15ms

Samknows Realspeed

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

In some area the load on the network can be a problem due to years of VM knowing it be a problem and not solve it with your answer more upstream splitting houses but can never be enough. .

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just been installed went live 2 weeks ago in my area. Probably leave if this is going to be the outcome. 👍 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Gaming on Virginmedia - join for the speed, leave for the latency.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

"VM 40 - 60 making gaming awful" - how is the Latency  measured ?

If you are new build area on RFoG like us 40+ does appear high we have latency of 15ms

Samknows Realspeed

Speed test the service to a Router mode Hub(3/4/5) + your device with the link below.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to see all the stats.

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Its never about the Latency you can game over to the US with over 100ms the problem is jitter
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @stuy28 👋

A warm welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. Great to have you here. 

I am sorry you've been experiencing some issues with the service and it would be a shame to see you leave us .

Have you had any improvements since?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jem101
Superstar

@stuy28 wrote:

Brand new to VM but thinking of canceling within the 14 days as ping is really bad. Had BT 33mb average 18 ping now with VM 40 - 60 making gaming awful. Lan testing results above wifi is worse. Is this normal high ping as reading alot of the same issues. Speed for anything else is amazing but gaming on BT with 33mb was much better than my now 270mb and high ping. 👍 

Honestly, if gaming is important to you, then cancel, now, right now*. It absolutely won’t get any better but unless you act within the first 14 days, then you are not only locked into an 18 month minimum term contract, but probably looking at a c. 18% rise in your bill in a years time which you can’t get out of?

* look for gamers, speed is a ‘nice’ thing but only to download patches and updates, for playing games, latency, and to some extent jitter, is far more important - and for reasons, far too boring for me go to into now, VM is, well, not the best choice for gamers, for reason that are mired in history and the way the technology works.