cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email no longer sends

JeremyNicholas
Tuning in

Hi, I've had a virgin.net email address since the early nineties but today it's stopped sending from Outlook. Has a setting changed that I need to update please?

Jeremy

16 REPLIES 16

Thanks, there's not actually an error message, it just makes a beep like it's a bit annoyed with me and dumps the email into an outbox until the situation clears up!

@JeremyNicholas wrote:

Thanks, there's not actually an error message, it just makes a beep like it's a bit annoyed with me and dumps the email into an outbox until the situation clears up!

The very first, and arguably, most important thing to answer is 'are you a current VM broadband customer'? If no, then the likelihood is that the email address and mailbox has been, or is in the process of being, disabled in preparation for being deleted. I think, though, that right now this isn't necessarily the case as there is a particular fairly common situation which describes and explains what you are seeing perfectly well. Unfortunately, to verify this you would need to follow the instructions which 用心棒  posted yesterday, although I do fully understand your reticence in blindly following an instruction from some random unknown person on the internet, even if, in this case, it is perfectly valid.

OK let's try another way of testing this hypothesis, firstly you need to find your public IP address, to do this, you simply need to visit the following website - 

www.whatismyip.com which will reveal your current (IPv4) address, it'll be in the form of 89.43.65.21 (something like that, which I have just randomly made up). So make a note of that address - then go to https://check.spamhaus.org/ and in the box provided enter the IP address that you got earlier.

Hit 'Lookup' and see what it reports for your address, if, and I suspect that it will, it claims that your address is listed, then post back on here with the names of the lists you are apparently on - please note, DO NOT post your actual IP address, just the names of the lists it claims you are on.

Armed with that, then we can advise further - however, if the result is what I expect it to be, then resolving it is not necessarily a trivial issue, and not something that VM can or will for you - the onus is on you to do the work.

Thanks. I'm not a virgin broadband customer. 

My email is @virgin.net

I'll take a look at those options you suggested. 

Jeremy

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply @JeremyNicholas.

As advised by @jem101 you will need to have an active media service with us and this would mean your email has been deleted or may be in the process.

Zoie

Hi Zoie, 

Thanks for that. I haven't had any notification from Virgin that they're about to delete my email address. Will I be getting a notification or will it just be turned off? What sort of active media service would I need to sign up for to keep my email address?

Jem

Details here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

You will need a new address as the old one belongs to VM and can't be transferred. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks Alessandro, 

That's a real shame. 

Thanks for the info.. 

Jem