cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email dead from this morning

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I cannot send or receive emails from my 2 addresses  @ntlworld.com.

I'm using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Windows 7 (I know it's old but has never been any trouble).

Webmail is working fine.

Here is the error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Robert-ntl account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the

connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

Hi

I have had exactly the same problems. Some email addresses not working, one is ntlworld.com and three were virginmedia.com. The set ups were the same and nothing has been changed before they stopped working last Monday week. As most of you have been down the usual route of endless calls, being passed from one team to another, off shore calls being disconnected and all the rest of the usual VM nonsense, however today they all came back after sending them the abuse form suggested earlier in this thread. As I have other ntlworld.com addresses that did work, it is difficult to understand what had gone on and maybe it is an IP issue. Perhaps like me you are just pleased that the system works and VM are never likely to tell you the reasons for things not working. If you order something online and it is delivered free of charge, you still expect it to be delivered even if it's free. The assertion from VM that you should accept what VM do "because it's free is just a nonsense

Pat

Just to add to my last post, an email just arrived saying

Following a thorough investigation, we have identified that the IP address associated with your account, is currently listed in the policy blacklist maintained by Spamhaus, Not by VM (Virgin media). It was possible you may have been blacklisted on our systems in the past however you are no longer blacklisted by us.
Please visit Spamhaus : https://check.spamhaus.org
Search using your IP and then you will find instructions to resolve this.
I noticed that the email was sent to one of the email addresses that was previously not working, but was picked up on another machine so VM must have known it was now unblocked. However the matter of Spamhaus and how all that might work without any prior warning seems problematical at the least and doesnot explain how so many people here have the same problem at the same time, but others here may know better. Use the abuse form to get VM to look at Spamhaus. One other piece of nonsense I found on my encounters with VM's second line team was that after a ticket number had been raised I received the one and only "promised" ring back call I have ever had from VM off shore. As I couldn't take the call, they left a message to call them back. The number left was the the 0345 454 1111 number which is usually staffed by very helpful people in the UK. Sad to say that those customer service people can't connect to the Second line or FMS teams who you can only speak directly to if they call you. As has been said before, VM's customer service people only tell you the things VM tells them to without any regard for their customers. Do VM think more or less people will leave VM by just trying to bluff their customers rather than telling them the truth and holding their hands up when things go wrong. It can't be easy for them, but surely saying nothing is ever their fault isn't going to work for a lot of people.

Pat

"

Hi Pat,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community, have you tried following the instructions on the Email?

Regards

Paul.

MalcolmJeffrey
Joining in

Hi, Paul_DN.

VM's team also sent me the Spamhaus link and while we're awaiting patco55's reply, this is what I found.

My IP address was on Spamhaus' list but the "instructions to resolve" the issue were that a normal home user doesn't need to do anything.  Their report said

-------------------

Policy Blocklist (PBL) - This is for information only. No action is required (unless you run your own mail server).

The inclusion of your IP address on the Policy Blocklist (PBL) is standard for the vast majority of internet users and is not the result of your actions. Here are some key PBL facts for your understanding:

• Being on this list does not mean you won’t be able to send emails.
  • You do not need to request removal from PBL.
  • This listing is controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), not Spamhaus.
  • Your ISP lists ranges of IP addresses that shouldn’t be sending email directly to the internet.
  • Typically, IPs of broadband or dial-up customers will be included in this list.
  • This is part of Internet best practices enacted to protect all users.

Run your own mail server?

If you run your own mail server, and require removal from the PBL, please click on “Show Details” to review your ISP’s policy. Once you have reviewed the policy, please tick the “I am running my own mail server” check-box at the bottom of the page to enable removal.

-------------------

My conclusions were :

• Spamhaus has my IP address on their list because that is "is standard for the vast majority of internet users"
  • "This listing is controlled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), not Spamhaus" i.e. Spamhouse thinks it's Virgin Media's ballpark, also "Typically, IPs of broadband or dial-up customers will be included in this list."
  • The situation only replies a user on this type of blacklist to take acyiob if they are running their own server - which I'm not
  • VM are fobbing me off by direction me to a third party actor who believe that the issue is still VM's.

Hope this helps !

MalcolmJeffrey
Joining in

Apologies for the outbreak of typos at the end, which should have read

• The situation only replies a user on this type of blacklist to take action if they are running their own server - which I'm not
  • VM are fobbing me off by directing me to a third party actor who believe that the issue is still VM's.

I replied to VM's contact response pointing out the statements from Spamhaus and they simply replied with the same "Check Spamhaus and follow their instructions" mail again.  Feedback loop or circular cell reference, really, and that was when I gave up.