cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email dead from this morning

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I cannot send or receive emails from my 2 addresses  @ntlworld.com.

I'm using Windows Live Mail 2012 with Windows 7 (I know it's old but has never been any trouble).

Webmail is working fine.

Here is the error message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the Robert-ntl account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the

connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

I'm desperate. Thanks in advance.

34 REPLIES 34

NB if you hover over the pics you will see the file number 1, 2, 3, etc

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

This looks promising, I'll give it a go. As Google doesn't show similar complaints from anywhere else in the world, I'll assume it's a VM issue, not Microsoft.

Your penultimate picture does not show SSL ticked for outgoing mail. Is that deliberate?

My emal is @ntlworld.com. Are people with @virginmedia.com having the same issues, I wonder?

Is everybody with issues using POP3?

If they want to push us off pop3 onto IMAP, this should have been announced.

techweb
On our wavelength

No issues with POP3 and incoming mail just SMTP and outgoing mail. Many users have been affected.

Ive got issues with incoming and outgoing PoP3 and SMTP

MalcolmJeffrey
Joining in

Hi, all.  Same issue here : Outlook and eM Client both not connecting via Pop3 or IMAP. on a Windows machine from the 14th April.  Android apps do, with the same port and security settings, and so does Virgin's WebMail : but my wife has an identical eM Client setup on a Windows 11 machine, with IMAP/SMTP settings identical to mine and picks her Virginmedia mail up OK, and both our emails are on the same Broadband account.

Only differences would seem to be the IP address.  I've been through the troubleshooting, the Chat, and have had a long WhatsApp call to a guy trying to steer me to the tenner-a-time Gadget support people.  He has, however, raised a ticket with the IT support people for me, after MUCH nagging.

I'll report if anything happens.

techweb
On our wavelength

POP3 is incoming (which is fine) SMTP is outcgoing and this is where many users are having issues.

glynnm3
Joining in

I have been battling the same issue for a couple of days. I even managed to change the password on Virgins "secondary app" password reset, but still cant get pop3 access from my old, but hitherto, reliable Win7 Mail app.

I have created myself a couple of clunky work araounds (for win7 Mail client) ;

1. Setup Windows Mail to use IMAP instead of pop3. Your mail will then appear in the imap folder of your inbox

2. I quickly downloaded thunderbird and configured it for POP3 which worked first time (why?).

My guess this does look like a change in security that some old clients cant handle anymore - thanks for the heads up Virgin.

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

This seems to work for me, and simple, and still POP3.

In Windows Live Mail: Account; Properties; Advanced.

Simply uncheck Outgoing requires SSL which sends port from 465 to 25.

Simply uncheck Incoming requires SSL which sends port from 995 to 110.

techweb
On our wavelength

THAT WORKED! Thanks Snoopdog.

Previously SMTP without SSL on port 25 was unsupported. However, now it is! How strange. That is concerning to some degree as nothing including credentials is encrypted but it's a workaround.

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I can only speculate that some server kit was changed out without the ports and SSL being set up.